Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Chevy Pickup 2001 LS1 Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Chevy Pickup 2001 LS1 Help

Okay i know i could serch on this forum for countless hours to get the answers but im thinking it would be more production to write down all the questions i have and let the fine people that know voice there opinion.
Before i start, i live in alberta canada, the trans is the stock 4l60e, engine is stock also, out of a camaro
The List
-Mounting the engine? total cost involved makes a tubular universal mount.. with it work for my truck?
-do any changes need to be made to my trans mount?
-Where can i find fuel lines and what do you recommend for a tank. i think if i found a rolled camaro, TA etc and mounted the tank in my truck i could save a big hassle
-where can i find a painless solution to shifter linkage, and hooking up the trucks stock gauges to the new wiring?
-where is the best place to send out my computer/ wiring? I have no prob mounting O2 sensors but dont want a smog pump
-what would be a good gear ratio for my truck? im not a racer, i live in the flat lands of alberta, i want to give a corvette a run for its money and loose, i want to tear away from honda civic with a spoiler and stupid exhaust. I want to spin my tires leaving a light, and get good fuel mileage... hows that for a laundry list
-which rad should i use? again is a stocker the best? i know plenty of parts shops and wrecking yards. what have yo all used in the past? would my stock truck rad work?
-trans cooling, if i get a stock camaro rad wont it have one built in?
-will i have any clerance problems with the stock exhaust? it will be lowered but not draggin frame... on purpose
i dont know what else to ask if you can give me even this head start i'll never club a baby seal agian... Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I am in the middle of a similar swap in a 70 chevy truck. You need to check out http://www.earlyclassic.com. They have some real nice gen iii mounts that are made exactly for this swap. You can get the computer reprogrammed to only use the front o2s, which I learned are needed today. No need for the smog or any of those silly cats. Early Classic also makes a trans mount, but you can just move yours back (or at least that is what I am doing) and mod it just a little. For a good fuel tank, go to 67-72chevytrucks.com, and look up user "fuelcellguy", he custom makes tanks, with the fuel pump in them, for way less then the big companies, and is a great guy. With the 4l60e I would say anywhere from 3.73 - 4.11 should be fine. I have an eaton rear with 4.11's and I plan on running it as is. As for the radiator, I dunno. I am going to use my stock one and see how it works with electric fan/custom shroud. I will let you know how it goes. Most people use external trans coolers. You can mount one out on the frame rail on our trucks with no issues, and it would work great, and be nice and close to the trans. Clearance? LOL I am running a C-20 at stock height, I think I run about 16 inches of clearance with no issues, good luck on that.

Hope this starts to help, check out the "builds" section on 67-72chevytrucks.com for lots of great info.

Orlando
Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot, that gets me started, i was having trouble deciding which engine mounts to use.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Teching In

i guess i have to figure out the rest on my own....
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Hey man, I just drove my swap truck today to the muffler shop. Love it!

I made my own mounts out of 1/4 plate, then welded the factory mounts to the plate.
Tranny mount lined up with some other holes, but I had to drill a new one for the actual mount.
I used the factory '05 truck tank, lines, pump, everything. I put it in a toolbox in the bed.
I bought Lokar's column shift linkage for GM trannies, a very nice and easy piece to solve a problem with. I am using aftermarket volt, temp, and oil psi gauges. Drilled and tapped the head for the temp and used the blocked off external oil cooler outlet for the oil psi. Had to drill and tap it also.
I sent my PCM to W4M.
I have 3.08s with an open rear end and can't hook up..so that is going to be a problem.
I used the stock radiator with the stock '05 hoses. Just had to cut them off some and use some oil to get the hoses to slip on the outlets.
I had an aftermarket cooler which is in front of my condenser. I suggest running a separate cooler instead of using the radiator one.
I don't know about the camaro exhaust, but I had to hack the truck exhaust to get it to tuck under the frame, but it was worth it!
I also used one of the factory '05 truck electric fans, I put it inside of my old shroud.

That's mine in a nutshell, I also used the factory harness and modified it. Not bad at all, and it runs so much better.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Hey thats awesome man, what year of truck do you have? did you chop your wiring harness yourself? if so do you have a guide or website or anything like that to follow? thanks alot! engine gets here in 5 days
Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

My truck is a wanna-be '68. I chopped my factory harness, it wasn't bad. I searched here and found wiring schematics for my '05 truck engine, then did my wiring. No website, just this one and LS1truck. It's not too bad.

Quick Reply: 1972 Chevy Pickup 2001 LS1 Help