Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter problem

My starter came broken with the engine and Auto Tranny... cause of the accident, so I changed the broken part in the starter which was the the thing with the wires.

Now when I turn the key to try to start the car, I hear the click but the starter just doesn't turn the engine, until I give the two bolts an external link to connect both of them... what should I do?

Could there be anything wrong with the wirring causing this?

If not, whats a good strong aftermarket starter?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah, I put this in the conversion part because my car is a 240sx with an LS1... even though it doesn't make any sense...
Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing with the wires is called a solenoid. It has a copper disk inside of it that connects the two external lugs when the solenoid is energized.

the click you hear is the solenoid trying to work.

Maybe you didn't get the thing mounted flush, or maybe there is something bent that isn't letting the copper disk go far enough forward to make the connection between the two lugs.

I don't know about LS solenoid, but I know on old first gen stuff you can usually take the solenoid apart and clean up the copper disk.

Also make sure you have a good connection on the start wire. Try running a jumper straight from the battery to the little start lug and see if that works. You need to make sure there is good power available to that start lug or the starter will act like it is for you now.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

ok, thank for the advice...

I don't think I could go into the Solenoid, cause its sealed shut, but why is it clicking, but not turning the engine, but as soon as I put a conductor that connects the 2 bolts on top of the solenoid it immediately works fine... what could be a solution?