Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First gen fuel sender not working, possiblly nicked sender wire? Where does it run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First gen fuel sender not working, possiblly nicked sender wire? Where does it run?

Fuel Gauge worked fine when i took the car out of the trailer this morning. Here are things i did today none of which seem like could have affect it. It's an Autometer Ultralite. Just shows empty all the time.

It's a brand new tank for a 68 firebird and a brand new sending unit. Ground is good to it connection is good to the sender. Gauge is about 3 weeks old. It has a good ground, and has power. Lights come on on gauge and all. needle doesnt move. I've tried tapping it it doesnt move lol. Anyway i can test the sender wire or anything?

Today i installed the old true dual exhaust setup. i had to cut the exhaust in two places and welded it in two places on the car. Didnt unhook the battery. I used two of the exhaust hangers that were origionally there and i self tapping screwed two more in the rear frame rail. I am thinking i may have hit the sending unit wire if it does run through the rear frame rail. Is that at all a possibility? Or could i have burnt up the sending unit from not unhooking the battery? Although im not sure why.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The fuel sender wire runs under the tank up into the trunk by the filler and then along the lighting harness to the dash through the car. Nothing in the frame rails.

Don
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great thanks! I thought that was the wire. I unplugged the sender from the back of the gauge and it will read full. It reads dead empty plugged in. I rocked the car back and forth and side to side to slosh the gas around to see if it would move, it wouldnt. I added 5 gallons of gas and repeated. Nothing. I did have the rear of the car about 2ft in the air when i was welding up the exhaust so maybe the sender just got stuck from the awkward angle. I'm just going to continue on and maybe i will start working again.

Quick Reply: First gen fuel sender not working, possiblly nicked sender wire? Where does it run?