Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle. Want to put some sort of LSX engine into it

Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 70 Chevelle. Want to put some sort of LSX engine into it

I just picked up a 70 chevelle project car and have been tossing around putting in an LSx engine between the framerails. Hopefully some sort of 6 speed manual transmission. My first idea was to find an LS7 engine from a wrecked Z06 Vette, but when I found out how much those are bringing at the salvage yards, I decided that There's no way I could ever afford one of those. Now I am considering an LS2, or maybe an LS3. but really don't understand the differences and advantages and disadvantages of each. I guess it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest engine, but I do have a few things I want out of this car when it's done, So maybe you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Things I need
1) Reliability
2) fuel Mileage (hoping for high teens in the city and mid 20s on the freeway)
3) Fuel Injected

Things I want
1)Powerful
2)Cost Effective

Since the cost of building this car will be extensive, I would rather not blow a ton of cash on a flashy engine, when one that isn't nearly flashy will do the Job. Sure I'd like it to pull like Crazy when I stomp on the skinny pedal. but also be able to drive it across country without having to take out a loan for fuel.

I've read here and other places, that there are lots of different ways to put the LS engine, crossmember modifications, engine mounts, transmission crossmember, Trans tunnel modifications, headers, different accessory drive systems that would work or not work. I'd imagine that it'd be cheaper to buy a whole car, pull the parts I need, then sell the rest off to make some of the money back. But am really unsure where to start. Would I be better off finding an older LS1? I am a pretty mechanical person, So I don't mind doing things like notching the crossmember, and I'd really like to do this as cost effectively as possible.

help

Steve

Last edited by Deserttaco; 08-25-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Street and Performance did one:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/LS...toryscreen.pdf
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NO problem, just seach on us A-Body guys.. we have post, thread and other site on many A-body swaps..

As far as disadvantages or advantages, other than newer electronic and more power. You can't go wrong with any of the Gen III / IV engine, just get a newer one if possible and with less mileage.

the link in my Sig goes to my Cardomain site project. I think all of your objectives are about the same as mine. I have a T56 and 4.11's and I get 23 MPG on the highway..
I drive mine about two times a week to the local car hang out and add car show every few week. Drove to Reno for Hot August Nights the past two years (about 600+ miles round trip) and have done so without any problems for the past two years that I have been done with my swap.

Just ask your question in smaller thread/post and it will get answered by many, we just don't have time to write a book about a full swap.. too busy out cruising around ! LOL

Keep us posted, pictures are always good !
Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great A body tech and cars on this site .. very helpful swap advice as well..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

See my sig link for some A-body info.

LQ4 6.0's are pretty popular and can be had for thousands less than LS motors. While not on the LSx cutting edge, they are stout motors and with low compression many people favor them for forced induction builds.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bczee
NO problem, just seach on us A-Body guys.. we have post, thread and other site on many A-body swaps..

As far as disadvantages or advantages, other than newer electronic and more power. You can't go wrong with any of the Gen III / IV engine, just get a newer one if possible and with less mileage.

the link in my Sig goes to my Cardomain site project. I think all of your objectives are about the same as mine. I have a T56 and 4.11's and I get 23 MPG on the highway..
I drive mine about two times a week to the local car hang out and add car show every few week. Drove to Reno for Hot August Nights the past two years (about 600+ miles round trip) and have done so without any problems for the past two years that I have been done with my swap.

Just ask your question in smaller thread/post and it will get answered by many, we just don't have time to write a book about a full swap.. too busy out cruising around ! LOL

Keep us posted, pictures are always good !
The car I bought will deffinately be a few year long project. I bought it to build with my Son, daughters, dad, and father in law. Here's a pic of it as we brought it home 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

i would prob look around for a take out engine, comp with eng, trans, wiring, computer-then have the harness modified, and the computer recalibrated
there are parts out there to make it a bolt in
if its a long term project, remember new things coming out everyday, lol
Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

If you buy a complete pull out as recomended you can easily build your on harness. The wiring for the ls1 is super easy if you have the complete factory wiring & pcm. I like The BRP conversion kit. I didn't use it on mine but he didn't have the pan at the time nor mounts for my 65 olds. I use Jesse @ "waitformeperformance" for the pcm reprograming 84$. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle. Want to put some sort of LSX engine into it