Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages for my 6.0 4l80e Chevelle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guages for my 6.0 4l80e Chevelle?

I just put my 6.0 4l80e in my 1972 chevelle and am somewhat close to cranking it . can anyone point me in some directions to some reasonable priced guages?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What you need depends on whether you're keeping any of the factory gauges or going full aftermarket. Either way the most expensive part is going to be the speedometer since you're running an electronic controlled trans. You can go a few directions with the speedometer: aftermarket electric, stock with electronic to cable converter (ex. cable-x), or stock speedo using an aftermarket tailhousing that has provisions for both the vss and cable driven speedo output. Other than that you can go with the same what you would for any aftermarket gauge setup (electronic: tach, volts, water temp, fuel level...mechanical: oil pressure, water temp) etc. As far as reasonably priced I would say Autometer is a good compromise between cost and reliability/accuracy.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i went with autometer gauges, as good as any i guess, i never liked cheap off brand-i used some metric to npt adapters from Street and Performance for the attachments to the block-i put the water temp in the pass side rear, and drilled/tapped down by the filter for the oil (S & P also has an adapter for that)
did the 4l80e fit ok? i might install one in my 69 this winter-i orig mocked one up during the orig install, bumped the floor a little in tight spots, but never did a comp bolt up(used a plastic mock up case)
i went with a turbo 400 for now
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
13 Second Truck Club

yea the 80e fit good it was a little tight around the bottom edge of the dog house around the shift linkage and the tranny cooler lines a hammer took care of that had to indent both side about an inch you cant tell when your looking at the floorboard
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
13 Second Truck Club

anybody else have some ideas
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

For my 4l80e I installed Nordskog 6 gauge universal panel kit. Great deal for the money and they really work well. Even has turn signals and high beams which is pretty cool. My problem was that when I hooked up the electric speedo to the TOSS output line going to my TCI controller I lost the signal and the tranny went to "run safe" mode. I had to get a signal converter from Dakota Digital to finally solve that problem.