Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grounding my LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding my LS1

I'm recently about to finish my 240sx LS1 swap which is taking me a lot of time due to the very limited amount of LS1's in my country...

Anyhow, the problem I'm facing now is grounding my ls1, can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can find a thread that specifically describes this process...
Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Don't know of any threads, but run a ground wire from one of the holes on the back of the cyl head directly to the same place that you run the grounds for the PCM. It ties all the grounds together so there is no voltage drop.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my swap I used more than the normal ground, but normally in a Stock Harness, there is two to three ground that are bolted to the back of the Head.

I have addional grounds on each side of the block to the frame, using the front engine mounts. And I use a ground from the back of the other head to the body.
I also use grounds at the battery, one each to the block, frame and body.

I have my PCM inside the cab, so for the PCM grounds, I used the same bold that grounds the head to the body as it goes though the firewall.

This maybe overkill, but it works for me, a few people have warned me about ground and causing problems with Stereo systems. But I responded, I only listen to the sweet music of the LS1 !.. who cares about the stereo. LOL !

my .02 cents on grounds.. and as they say, most elecrical problems are due to bad grounds...!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you mean the Grounds in the Harness, or on the Chassis?

I grounded the Harness to the Oil Dipstick Bolt, I moved all them wires internally in the Harness to that point.

As far as the Chassis, I have a Grounding Strap coming off each side of the Engine, one going to the Drivers side on the side of the Inner Body, and the other going to the passenger Strut Tower, I have a rear-mounted Battery.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My LQ9 harness had a gound to each head, one to the alternator housing and one to the block. Kind of overkill, but I kept them all and intsralling this week.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only ground on my motor is the battery cable going to a bolt on the back of the block. I was going to add some other small guage grounds, but this is working fine for my carb'd motor.

One think I did find out is the valve covers are electrically isolated from the rest of the motor. Don't hook anything to the valve covers that needs a good ground path. I can't remember if a multimeter check showed continuity between the heads and the block, but I do know for a fact the valve covers and coil pack bracket is open circuit to the block.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ground issues are the number one head scratching pita confusion in any auto electrical problems due to the flaoting ground. Heres a link with a description and a pic of how I did mine. Two years and zero issues

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...ll-engine.html
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by the_merv
Do you mean the Grounds in the Harness, or on the Chassis?

I grounded the Harness to the Oil Dipstick Bolt, I moved all them wires internally in the Harness to that point.

As far as the Chassis, I have a Grounding Strap coming off each side of the Engine, one going to the Drivers side on the side of the Inner Body, and the other going to the passenger Strut Tower, I have a rear-mounted Battery.
To be truthful, I don't know which grounds I want know about, but my mechanic has turned on the car, and I'm curious at knowing how he did the grounding... so I'm going step by step doing each and every ground you guys help me in locating and doing... because I'm really very bad in electrics PLUS, I've faced a huge problem in my Hyundai Tiburon with grounding that caused a lot of my wires to melt and stick to each other... which in turn caused a lot of problems, so please bear with me... I really need to do this right...

(okay this might help, my car is going to be a race car with no sound system, only a head unit and the stock speakers maybe...)

In Summary, I need to recheck my mechanics/electricians work on my car, by checking all the important critical points where my Harness, PCM, or Engine needs a ground...

I hope this makes it clear what I really want...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Default What is this sensor?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

whats the sensor in the top picture i've posted? is it the air temperature?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

IAT.

incoming air temperature sensor
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Intake air temperature sensor.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

ok guys, if this isn't installed would it affect the idle of the car? its the first time I turn it on from a year, would it stabilize later?! And i suppose its necessary to install the IAT right?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wajouba
ok guys, if this isn't installed would it affect the idle of the car? its the first time I turn it on from a year, would it stabilize later?! And i suppose its necessary to install the IAT right?
YUP Big time. I had the same issue ( I didnt even have it I had no idea LOL ) that thing has such a HUGE impact on how smooth it runs I couldnt believe it. Best of all its an uber cheap part. $15.00 at the stealership
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45SbkpG1zFg

This is how my engine is running now, don't mind the unplugged MAF, it dosn't change anything I tried plugging and unplugging...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

At least yours will run. Mine died incessantly until I got that IAT installed then it ran like a champ
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

ok I did install the IAT, and made a custom exhaust... but unfortunately some weird sound was heard inside my engine... something like a bolt or I don't know what inside the engine... we shot the engine down immediatly... and are trying to find out what that was... I never heard that b4, but could be due to the loud sound without the exhaust b4... anyhow we''re rechecking.. wish me luck
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah, and no it didn't idle properly even after I installed the IAT...
Old 09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Ok what actually turned out is that I don't have EITHER the CAM SENSOR, nor the MAP SENSOR installed... I didn't see them before due to the stack of wires above them and the way my engine is positioned under the firewall ... (im surprised it actually turned on...)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I found the Cam sensor connector, and I plugged it in, but I didn't turn the car on, im still in the search of a MAP sensor which is broken... I also bought AC Delco Iridium SparkPlugs...

Quick Reply: Grounding my LS1