Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!

I was trying to diagnose a slight lean stumble on my car. I just got it tagged yesterday and under part throttle it would go to say 16:1AFR so i was going to put larger squirters on my carburetor and upon removing it i found a small piece of metal laying between my intake and lifter cover. I picked it up and saw that it was shiny on one side and thats why i noticed my intake gasket sticking out of my intake runners! I couldnt believe it! I have no idea what wold have caused this. What should i do, who should i call?

The bolts were not cranked down super tight, these are stock 241 unmilled cylinder heads. The intake was no ported. I have not taken it off yet but i am really hoping its only cracking on the outside and that i dont have any metal on the inside. The engine does not have nitrous, has not ever had a single backfire. Never run hotter than 180. I have put maybe 30 miles on this engine since the swap! I cant believe it!

I bought it new from Summit. It took a while to get too. I really hope they will send me another one. Edelbrock DEFINATELY should send me another one. It is happening on the front two intake runners on the passenger side. I'm going to be removing it in the next half hour to see what other damage it has caused.
Attached Thumbnails Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack1.jpg   Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack2.jpg   Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack3.jpg   Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack4.jpg   Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack5.jpg  

Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-crack6.jpg  
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Yikes!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

I have been looking it over and have noticed that there is considerably less material around the gaskets on the side that broke. The side that didnt break has just under 3/16" of material around the gasket at the narrowest point. The side that did break has less than 1/16". So i guess this is just a bad batch then huh? Any chance they will replace it?
Attached Thumbnails Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-brokeside.jpg   Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!-fineside.jpg  
Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Well i called up Summit Racing and explained what happened and they are sending me a new one Monday no questions asked, and UPs will pick up my old. +1 for Summit Racing! They even had them in stock. Atleast now there are some pictures up though so people can check theirs. You can clearly see it was a machining error.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats good news that they took care of you!!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Stuid question, I know some of the aftermarket carb intakes specify a special aftermarket gasket. Is yours one of them?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah Summit Racing really couldnt have handled the situation better. Im super happy actually. I'm glad it broke now rather than on a trip or when i did have nitrous and cylinder heads. Nothing was damaged or fell into the heads so its really not that bad. The intake gaskets are still good and i really had to take the carb off to put my new metering plates in anyway so its really not a terrible thing.

Those are stock LS1 gaskets i used. I got them from Autozone they were like $30 or something. They fit right in and stay in. Very nice gaskets and setup. I didnt have any intake leaks either.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks like a core shift when the intake was cast.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Looks like a core shift when the intake was cast.
I agree, you just got a bad casting. Glad summit is taking good care of you.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

These manifolds are very thin in that area anyway. My first Vr Jnr got damaged in that are in shipping ( well, the underside, not topside )
I guess it could have been packaged better, but they are so thin, they break easy.

I just had it welded up, and cleaned the groove for a new gasket ring.

But good to hear Summit are sorting you out.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well i hope the new one its a little better quality haha.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Summit rocks. I have never had a problem returning stuff to them either. Of course they probably looked at how much you have ordered from them in the last year and figured they should take care of you.

Not much question it was a defecitive casting. Wonder if the GMPP intakes have the same, thin design in that area?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Launching!

The same thing happened to my manifold. I bought it NIB from another member so I am screwed on getting a replacement. At least I didn't pay full price for it. It lasted on my car for a few hundred miles before I notced it. The damn thing always started poorly...maybe that was it.

I hope ypur replacement lasts. I've decided to go to factory EFI as I'm not willing to put another cent into one of these manifolds especially when I really want the EFI benifits.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

If mine cracks again i'm just going to get creative with rtv, or have the manifold welded. I realy like the carb manifold.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe it is the LS engine rejecting the carb manifold... finally

just playin
Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

It appears to be core shift and poor quality control before shipment. Look that new one over real good.

LSX
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

That is not core shift, it is the CNC program being off slightly. The O-ring grooves need to be closer to the bottom of the intake runner. Core shift doesn't look like that at all.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i hope the new one comes a little more centered. I was hoping to spray 125 on this intake too.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

i have the same problem!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Are you sure the intake was not over torqued?

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!