Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find complete LS1 motor and T-56 trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find complete LS1 motor and T-56 trans?

Where are you guys finding good running complete motors at? I've looked on ebay but most seem to be around $5,000.00 for just a motor and trans. I'd rather buy a complete car for that price. I'm finally going to finish the LS1 swap into my 87 camaro, just need the motor. Thanks
Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ebay is usually the 1st place you can look and get an idea of the prices.. have you tried Criagslist.com ?

Else you just have to hit up on all of the local yards, but like you said, you might be able to get a complete car for the price and then maybe sell of the parts and recover your cost.

LS1 or any of the LSx (2, 6, etc) series engine will bring a higher price as compared to the Truck engine (LM7, LQ4, LQ9, etc). With the exception of the later model Truck engines (Gen IV L92,etc).

I'm sure others will ping in where they got there motor cheap.. I got mine from Craigslist, it was a 99 Z28 with engine and trans with everthing for $3,500.00..two years ago, it was from a wreck.

Good hunting...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkout the classified section here. I've seen 2-3 complete packages listed in the past week.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Where are you guys finding good running complete motors at? I've looked on ebay but most seem to be around $5,000.00 for just a motor and trans. I'd rather buy a complete car for that price. I'm finally going to finish the LS1 swap into my 87 camaro, just need the motor. Thanks
I'll sell you my 2000 Z/28 6spd for $8,800. Then you won't have to do anything, just drive it.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

look for 6.0 lq4 motors around local jy
a th350/400 will be cheeper than a t56 and will be quicker on the street and track than t56
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got a VERY good deal on here by posting in the wanted section. It was a complete car, that had some damage not affecting the drivetrain at all. It happened to be built. H/C motor with a bunch of goodies, built T56, Strange 12-bolt and a bunch of other odds and ends. Some of it I was able to use, some of it I sold off for alittle extra cash.

Point is...if you have the space to keep it for awhile, donor cars are THE way to go in my opinion. Unless you have the money for a very nice low mile pull out, sometimes you are better off getting a donor car that you can maybe start...or in my case even drive around in. Then you see how it comes apart, know you have everything you need, etc etc.

Post up in here, then check ebay and the local listings. There are a TON of LS1s out there lately.

J.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 70Nova SS
I'll sell you my 2000 Z/28 6spd for $8,800. Then you won't have to do anything, just drive it.

I've allready got a 2001 M6 Z, just need a motor and trans for my 87 camaro. Thanks though. Lol
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ghettocruiser;10135846]I got a VERY good deal on here by posting in the wanted section. It was a complete car, that had some damage not affecting the drivetrain at all. It happened to be built. H/C motor with a bunch of goodies, built T56, Strange 12-bolt and a bunch of other odds and ends. Some of it I was able to use, some of it I sold off for alittle extra cash.

Point is...if you have the space to keep it for awhile, donor cars are THE way to go in my opinion. Unless you have the money for a very nice low mile pull out, sometimes you are better off getting a donor car that you can maybe start...or in my case even drive around in. Then you see how it comes apart, know you have everything you need, etc etc.

Post up in here, then check ebay and the local listings. There are a TON of LS1s out there lately.

J.[/QUOTE

That sounds like a better idea to me. I want to use the LS1 rear end, radiator and most every other drivetrain part I can. Would you recommend pulling the K-member and installing the motor? Looks to me like it would be the easiest way. I'll check around for a complete car then, thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not even sure I can recall all the parts I used off the donor car. Motor, trans, driveshaft, rear, ebrake cable bracket and cables, radiator, fans, fuse blocks, 100% of the a/c, front brakes, brake booster, brake master cylinder, washer bottle, overflow bottle, fuel tank, fuel lines, exhaust hangers, convertable top switch, lots and lots of wiring and Im sure some stuff I forgot.

If the car has a nice catback, you can use that. You can steal the pedals out too if swapping to M6, but honestly, I had better luck with the thirdgen pedals. I used 4th gen first...

Point is, you can find tons of useful stuff in a donor car. I got so much use out of the wiring alone. If I needed to extend or fix a wire, chances were I could find a matching color in the body wiring and snip it from there.

I suggest, if you have the space and the engine hoist, pulling the motor from the bottom. Over on thirdgen.org, I have a build thread you can check out and see how I did it...twice actually haha. Ive done the motor out/in the bottom in both swaps that I did. Very easy in my opinion.

J.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Launching!

We got our '99 Fbody LS1, T56, harness, in-tank fuel pump, driveshaft and PCM from Foster Auto Salvage in Portland OR for $4000, shipped to the Seattle area. Our combo had 55Kmi on it (according to the paperwork shipped with it ...) and runs like a champ.

See our swap at:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=699289

We're all done except for paint and A/C re-charge. The new drivetrain has plenty of go-power for our 1986 BMW 325 ...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290262963292
Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
look for 6.0 lq4 motors around local jy
a th350/400 will be cheeper than a t56 and will be quicker on the street and track than t56
Automatics do not interest me at all, the car was an auto but I changed it over to a manual.It's a corner carver built for road racing, hitting the mountains, etc.. I bought a 5.3L off ebay, saving a little money at the moment but it'll do what I want it too. Thanks for all the help. I managed to get a complete low mile 2004 LM7 with all accessories and computer for a grand.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

It took my a while to find one in my price range for my project car. I wasnt specifically looking for an ls1 just a engine to make great power at a good bargain.

After looking for a year at all different kind of engines I saw a WTB ad on this site. I jumped in and saw someone was looking for a complete ls1 with an auto.

Someone posted I have everything for $1200. I didnt hesitate to contact him about it. He said it has high miles but runs fine, he sent me a video of it in the car and pics of it. I went that weekend and got a 99 LS1/4l60e with wiring and ECU complete from top to bottom even the a/c for a total of $1250(gave him 50 to reserve it for me).

Just keep an eye out and a good deal will come along.
Good luck on your search!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Contact Chevpower on this board,he is selling an LS1 complete with 62k for $1500.00 bucks in Florida.

Quick Reply: Where to find complete LS1 motor and T-56 trans?