Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know if LS motors use a charcoal canister?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know if LS motors use a charcoal canister?

Like the title says, anyone know? I just upgraded my fuel pump and put in a new tank and was wondering since I would like to connect the evap purge on my car. I've never seen or heard of a canister, maybe there's something else?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, did a search. I didn't think there was much on this but it's quite confusing. G-body, you used your car's original canister purge, where did you connect it to? Your setup would be closer to mine since yours is a gbody too.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using a Charcoal Canister is not really directly related to a type of engine (a LSx in this case), but more to the Car and engine as a whole and as the Car is designed to meet the goverment SMOG Regulation.

I am using a Charcoal Canister on my 71 chevelle with a 99 LS1, I have chose not to use the EVAP purge valve but just to use a Charcoal Canister instead. But then again, My Chevelle would be exempt from having to pass the Calif Smog tests. The canister is connected to the Vacuum source of where the EVAP used to be.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default I did not use one at all

All i did was let the gas tank vent out a long line with a filter on it. But if you plug mine into a scanner it will always have a evap code. (along with every other code related to emissions)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LS1 F bodies use a charcole canister located int he right rear wheel well. In your case to stay legal connect the purge line from your current canister to the purge solinoid near the fuel rail.

Re'
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
I am using a Charcoal Canister on my 71 chevelle with a 99 LS1, I have chose not to use the EVAP purge valve but just to use a Charcoal Canister instead.
Thats what im doing with my 2dr Blazer. bought a new canister off of a dealer on ebay. No emissions testing here so all I'm concerned with is venting the tank without the smell. (personal preference)
Originally Posted by 71protouringls1
if you plug mine into a scanner it will always have a evap code. (along with every other code related to emissions)
you can delete those codes with tuning software.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I do not run the purge or canister on our conversions and I have never had any issue with odor even on a hot day (but I know it happens).... The f body did indeed run a canister........
Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullet73
G-body, you used your car's original canister purge, where did you connect it to? Your setup would be closer to mine since yours is a gbody too.
I used the original G-Body charcoal canister. I ran the line from that to the purge valve that was on the intake of the 5.3L motor.

So the canister itself is from the el camino, but the purge valve is LSx.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just have my Chevelle Canister connected to the tank as it was originally and then used the Vacuum port that the HVAP valve was on to connect it to the Charcoal Canister.

To use the HVAP valve and solenoid, the PCM would need to inputs, One is the Fuel tank Level and the second one is the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor.
Since I have neither, that is the reason that I don't run the HVAP valve, the PCM wouldn't triger the solenoid anyway.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To use the HVAP valve and solenoid, the PCM would need to inputs, One is the Fuel tank Level and the second one is the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor.
Since I have neither, that is the reason that I don't run the HVAP valve, the PCM wouldn't triger the solenoid anyway.
Could you explain the need for the level and sensor? It was always my understanding that it's function was more related to the motor running and the rpm than anything else but that is from 3rd gens. I am planning on using the ccp system from the donar car but not the fuel setup.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Could you explain the need for the level and sensor? It was always my understanding that it's function was more related to the motor running and the rpm than anything else but that is from 3rd gens. I am planning on using the ccp system from the donar car but not the fuel setup.
Yes, the Gen 3 F-Body is not the same... the Gen 4 F-body and the Gen III/IV Cars and trucks uses a different system, I am not a complete expert on this, but if you notice that HVAP has a Solenoid that gets trigger by the PCM to purge the Vapors and it ports them into the intake system via the port you see that is connected to the HVAP.

What you need to understand is that the HVAP Solenoid get trigger by something and when.. so.. the PCM is used to trigger the solenoid when it is needed, and the PCM gets informatin from two inputs.. 1) fuel level (this was news to me too) and 2) the fuel tank pressure sensor/vacuum. So as the Fuel level goes up and down and pressure is builds up or down.. the PCM will activate the HVAP as needed to purge the vapors and keep the internal tank pressure correct. Too much pressure or to much Vacuum due to the tank being sealed and not vented, and as fuel is consumed is not good.

That is about all I can explain without researching more to cut and paste..!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
This is not correct as I used the LS1 purge solinoid connected to the PCM in my F body LS1 swap. I was not using a fuel tank pressure sensor and the fuel level sensor did not run to the PCM. Despite this the purge solinoid still vented the tank after the engine started just like it was supposed to.

Re'
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
This is not correct as I used the LS1 purge solinoid connected to the PCM in my F body LS1 swap. I was not using a fuel tank pressure sensor and the fuel level sensor did not run to the PCM. Despite this the purge solinoid still vented the tank after the engine started just like it was supposed to.

Re'
so when did it purge and how did you know when it purged? is there a way to program the solonoid control in hp tuners?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was always my understanding that the closed systems used about a 1lb psi valve inline between the tank and the ccp. When it got higher than 1psi and the valve opening because of the solenoid it would purge into the ccp. The solenoid control used MAP and RPM as to when it purged. Again I do not see where the gauge would have any affect. All the tanks are built in with a overflow area that you cannot fill for gas expansion purposes so the theory would always be that it is pulling fumes only. Maybe I am wrong but I put in a line with a filter along with the 1lb valve and it works fine without a ccp. In general the tank would build pressure when a lot of gas is returned to the tank from the return line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody know if LS motors use a charcoal canister?