Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G Body LS1 with motor plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G Body LS1 with motor plates

I know there are several guys on here doing LS1 conversions in G Bodies,but how many are using a motor plate and mid plate for the trans?I fabbed the motor plate to fit around the steering shaft by trimming the drivers side plate so that is done,now for the tough one,how am i going to get past my mid plate with long tube headers(Pacesetters)I am guessing either cut holes in the plate for the exhaust to go through or do a shorty header?motor is for the MonteSS in my sig and is a Dart headed 408 with an alternator as the only accessory with a pulley going off the crank,everything else is electric.Any advice,pics,PM's would be great from someone who has done it.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

id love to do the gbody/ls1. especially when theres all that room for a turbo
Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

I have an LS1 in my malibu, but I'm not understanding what you mean by motor plate? Are you talking about the engine mount plates or an actual accessory plate that mounts to the front of the engine?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula_LT1
I have an LS1 in my malibu, but I'm not understanding what you mean by motor plate? Are you talking about the engine mount plates or an actual accessory plate that mounts to the front of the engine?
I am using a 2-piece LS1 motor mount plate and mid plate that goes in between the trans.and motor from S&W race cars.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula_LT1
Instead of using motor mounts he wants to use plates that bold to the front and back of the engine to mount it solidly in the frame. I assume this will be a drag only car. Why not just use solid motor mounts. Would be a whole lot easier.

Also courious why you are using shortie headers on what seems to be a max effort high power build.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

He is asking if that might be the only option since he is using the plates (shorties). I have seen quite a few cars that have the holes cut in the plates for the pipes to pass through. You might be able to trim the bottom of the midplate to allow the primary tubes to pass under them, I have seen this also, and it seems to help with keeping the midplate structurally sound. Another thing that you might try is doing a search for pictures of other peoples setups on google or something to get some ideas.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I agree,shorties suck,and they cost the same as LT's,i will probably end up notching a small half moon under each side of the plate for clearance.The idea of cutting 3in.diameter holes in the plate is no good for strength.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I would do, besides, there is the option of welding some kind of bracing, or something to the midplate in other locations too for some help with rigidity also. Maybe a piece of flatstock or tubing to act like a spine.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Teching In

of plate please...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Most midplates are pretty flimsy. If you flange the hole for the pipe to pass through, it will be plenty strong. I've seen them with holes for headers passing through before, not a big issue either way. Personally, I think motor plates and mid plates suck, too many issues like you're running into there. I just used solid motor mounts and a stiff urethane single bolt mount tranny mount on my drag car and have never seen any issues. Plus if you want to do turbo(s) those plates will REALLY suck.

Quick Reply: G Body LS1 with motor plates