Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 in 63 Ford Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 in 63 Ford Falcon

OK - I've just started researching this, so bear with me.

Anyone have any opinions on putting an LS2/T56 in a 63 Ford Falcon Futura? I've got a fair amount of experience working with 60's era Fords, including installing a 351W into a 63 Falcon - it fit, but not without the help of a BFH on the shock towers. At this point, a 4.9 swap would just be too ordinary for me. On the other hand, I have almost no experience with Chevy engines of any kind.

Also what to make of this. Guy is swapping an LS1 into an early 90ish (or so) Mustang. The linked pic shows the Mustang engine mount bolted to the LS1. If this is correct, it would seem to open up some real possibilities.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this somehting like what you are building ? I meet him at Reno during Hot August Nights at the A&W... He is on the forum sometime.. but I don't remember his username.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 PM

That's at least a 64. New body, likely new underhood dimensions as well. I'm not entirely certain. Gives one hope, at least.

Scroll all the way to the bottom here.

That is what I'm looking at emulating. It's an Aussie Falcon, 64-65, but just carried over from the 63 US version.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 PM

BTW - that white one is nifty. I see he eliminated the shock towers.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Teching In

I too have considered such a swap. I curerently own 2 '63 Falcons and my father owns a '63 Comet - all 2 dr Hardtops. They are lightweight good lookin' little cars. One of the Falcons was my 1st car. I swapped a fuely 5.0 & 5spd into it about 10 yrs ago.
First, Let me say I'm positive the swap is possible, even with the shock towers in place. Like you mentioned a 351W will fit and the LS2 will be narrower and slightly shorter. Might have to fabricate some headers & motor mounts, however. I have a book that show's a 312 Y-block swapped into a '60 model Falcon back in 1961. All the work was done in Bill Strope's shop. It shows some pics where they had cut out a portion of the shock towers and welded in some plates to make room. However, It kept all the factory suspension. If I can find the book, I'll scan and post up the pics. Sure would make it easier to make some nice headers and help with plug changes too.
To clear the factory steering linkage the GTO pan with it's front sump would probably be the best bet.
FYI - the 63-65 Falcons are all basically identical under the hood, underhood revisions didn't come until '66.
The RRS stuff is really really nice, but way out of my budget.
For a more budget minded price you might consider this: http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=29

Hope this helps and good luck to you if you decide to follow through!

Last edited by Awesomeperfmachine; 10-02-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Any updates or more links on this?

Quick Reply: LS2 in 63 Ford Falcon