Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Studebaker

Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Studebaker

I'm Ken from Utah, new to LS1Tech, and trying to figure out how to navigate this site.
I'm building a '54 Studebaker with a 19,000 mile aluminum '97 Corvette LS1 (was an automatic transmission car, in the rear of course) and a Camaro T56 six speed. I have upgraded the Studebaker front suspension with fabricated tubular "A" arms, Chrysler ball joints, Granada spindles, GM disc brakes and a Flaming River rack and pinion. The rear will get a narrowed 9", I will move the springs inboard and minitub it so I can use "proper" wheels and tires.
I built a '54 Studebaker in 1961 with a 283 chevy and a 3 speed, this is a little more complicated. (Yah, I'm an old guy.)
I have lots of questions that I would like input on:
1) Need to buy a flywheel/clutch assembly, I hear it is best to use LS2 stuff. Any comments/guidance?
2) I have a brake, clutch pedal assembly out of a Gen 4 '95 Camaro. The clutch master cylinder is weirdly positioned at an angle below the brake master cylinder - not sure if it is from a V8 or a V6 car. Is this usable with the LS1 hydraulic throwout bearing? Is there a better pedal set up to use?
3) I will be modifying/replacing the Studebaker firewall, as it is too flexible to mount a swing pedal assembly (and it has lots of ugly stuff, holes, you know the issue), so I can design/build any brackets I need.
4) I hope to do a trial fit of the engine this week, any suggestions for universal motor mounts that I could modify? This engine has cast the Corvette aluminum mounts that appear too bulky to clear my rack/pinion, so I will have to build some.
5) I think the Corvette accessories will fit OK, I understand that I may have to replace the A/C compressor if I use a VintageAir unit, they tell me the variable displacement compressor (Corvette) will not work with their system. Question: I am not using a power rack and pinion, but would like to keep the Corvette serpentine accessory drive, is there an idler pulley I can replace the power steering pump with, or can I simply use the power steering pump as an idler by a) running it empty, or b) removing the impeller and running it empty, or c) designing a fluid loop from discharge to suction with an pressure breakdown orifice and run it with fluid or d) any other ideas?
I have a lot more questions, but any input on these would be appreciated.
I also have a custom '83 El Camino with an LT1/L460E that I could post some pictures of, if I can figure out how to do that.
Thanks,
Studesrule
Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Pat will be along shortly.......he would be the resident Stude guy with one of the cleanest LS-1/Studebaker cars around.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. just seach on his userID "Stu Cool", he is around the Roseville/Sacramento area.. I meet up with him at HAN !

1) LS2 clutch is good, but most aftermarket stuff is good too.. I am using the stock LS1 Flywheel, but using Centerforce DF clutch. A bit heavy on the pedal.

2) Yeah.. if you Firewall is more straight up, you will have to build a adapter like the 1st Gen F-body and A-Body guys uses, see the FAQ's for a template. But you would most likely have to desgin your own.

3) good time to re-enforce it for the Pedal if your going to mount the assembly to the firewall.

4) Check with Pat (Stu Cool) on what he used.. most likely that will work best for you. Else you can just used plates and SBC motor mounts and just fab up the frame stands.

5) again. refer to the Studebaker guy.. Pat !

good luck.. let us know if you have any other question that we might help with..!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Studes Rule and I have already been messaging. We are a little different in that he still has original Stude designed from frame and I have a Nova clip. Glad to see another Studebaker on the board, you just can't have too many. My firewall is overlayed with 1/8" thick plate with re-enforcement around the brake booster. I have an additional tubular crossmember running inside my dash that lends support also. For mount plates I used EBay knock offs of S&P and SBC short wide mounts. These had to be relocated on my front K member. You can see details in my journal. Since Studebaker has saddle type mounts for the frame, trying to adapt those might work with one of the LS1 type mounts from an F-body or truck.

Welcome to the forum and keep in touch!

Pat
Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Studebaker

Thanks for all the comments. As Pat mentioned we have been in communication, thanks Pat. Sounds like the Camaro pedal setup is the way to go, I will look into what the 1st Gen Camaro and others are doing. I still struggle with navigating around and through LS1Tech. I guess it is an age thing.
Hope to get my Flaming River column mounted today, along with wheels so I can get this thing back on the ground and start trial fit of motor and transmission. T56's are pretty large.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Studebaker