Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Caprice Classic?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Caprice Classic?

Can anyone tell me about these cars? What kind've aftermarket they have? It has the 305 in it... I'd be wanting to maybe go with a manual tranny if it could be done reasonably cheap for fuel mileage, and suspension before I even messed with the engine. Unless I could clean up the engine a bit fuel economy-wise.

Thanks for any help, I'm about to just buy the thing as I am thinking they're a very aftermarket friendly platform... Just not so sure with the Chevy side of things...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Aftermarket for what? The suspension is the same as 94-96 Impala SS's, so there is quite a bit of suspension components to make them handle. I don't know of much more to change on them, besides engine/trans.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

well the 305 is probably the least aftermarket supported motor built by chevy. they are a good motor, my 91 caprice had 220,000 when i sold it and it was still running great.

i guess the best thing is you can throw almost any genI small block in there, and it would bolt right up
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Any trouble spots to look for? Aftermarket for anything... Is it a b-body? I'm used to Fox Mustangs, haha. Replacement parts a pain to get?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Yes it's a B-body.

I guess wheels are 5x4.75.......

You're not gonna find altezza taillights.......

You can get lift kits for them now thanks to dolts and 30" wheels......

I haven't seen a Lambo door kit yet.......

On a serious note, I know there is no billet grilles for them. My stocker has a chunk out of it, and I wanted a billet one made with the same number of bars as the stock one, but nothing.

There are a few places that make fiberglass replacement bumper corners. Mine are getting pretty crappy. The stock ones are a rubber kind of piece, and they are getting worn out....I don't really know of "trouble spots". If it's a 79, could be starting to get rusty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Caprice Classic?