Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 + T-56 in a '72 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 + T-56 in a '72 Firebird

Not much here yet, but I thought I'd start a thread of my progress, for anyone else who might be looking at doing this.

What I have is a roller '72 Firebird. It has an added OEM formula Ram Air hood and a roll cage that were added by the previous owner. It has power steering, Power brakes with disc/drums, 3.55 Posi, and was an A/C car.

I also have a '98 LS1 w/ T-56, Painless extended harness, and S&P headers.

My plan is to do this car right, no cutting corners or hack jobs, so this might be a slow process as I have lots of other things going on.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 + T-56 in a '72 Firebird-att00204.jpg   LS1 + T-56 in a '72 Firebird-att00206.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum..

Anything you want to know about, just ask away or do the search.. as it is either been done or has been talked about.

What adapter plates are you going to be using ?

Keep us all posted... we like pictures LOL..
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

I'm going to start with the Transdapt plates. See how it fits. I'd love to keep the Ac in the original location, but the more I read it looks like nobody's kits will do that without some notching. I have quite a few tools at my disposal, so I'm going to give it a try and make mounts or add to the transdapt ones to see if I can squeeze the A/C in.

most likely I'll notch the subframe.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Cool project! I'm doing a ls1 swap into a second gen myself.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your trying to keep the OEM AC compressure, then you shuold look into the BRPHotRod.com, Phil has been making kits that keep the OEM Compressure in place, some of the older kits required notching and some of the newer kit don't.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Teching In

I talked to phil, but he said that his kit still requires a notch for the A/C. There's another post on here where it says that the compressor fits, but you have to notch for the lines.. If this is not true, then I am all for the BRP stuff. but I'f i'm going to have to notch it either way, I might as well start with $50 plates.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gear.. just make sure you do all of your frame mod's (notching, welding, etc)1st before painting or Powder Coating. Do all of the mock up's on the engine and all of the bolt ons.. not like us dummy's who did the finishing 1st (yeah, I'm one of them !).

I and many have just fab'd up the plates from either 1/4" or 3/8" steel. The Template can be found in the FAQ area for both the S&P and BRP style, most other plate are based on these first two styles. Some mount them upside down, some move the engine mounts 1" to 1 1/2" (using S&P style).