Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swap...carb or fi? 65 nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap...carb or fi? 65 nova

Well, I've been considering the carb setup for my ls1 swap into my 65 nova, guess i'm just looking for feedaback on this type of setup and if there are limitations to mods. the more i read about people having problems with the msd 6010 the i would just rather use the factory computer and harness.

any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All depends on what you are looking for ?...

Once setup correctly, you can't beat EFI for cold or hot startup, driveablity and Gas Mileage..
At WOT.. Peak performance is about the same for both. It is just how you get to the upper range of the RPM or WOT that will make a big difference... and EFI would be the winner (in most cases).

Many will go the carb route for what they think is a cost saving and having knowledge of how to tune a Carb (from what I have seen, many of these so called expert have only 1/2 of the complete knowledge of how to tune a carb, there is so much more than change jets and turning the idle screws). And many say that EFI is too costly and complicated. If you get a pull out with everything. it is not that much more to install EFI (Upgrade the lines, regualator, filter and a good pump and you really don't have to go big $$ if you don't want to..).

Tuning of the PCM is can be cheap, I used a mail order tune (Jesse at Wait4meperformance) and paid $85.00 for the tune and return shipping.. it started up 1st time and everytime after ! but if your going to be tuning yourself and do mod, HPTuner or EFILive will be a good thing.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^ couldn't have said it better....its really not any cheaper to go carb
Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

It's cheaper if you already have all the carb stuff on your car(carb and fuel system).

It really depends on what your intended use of the car is. I have done efi and carb and the main reason I went carb is because I like to tinker too much. I didn't want to spend the money for dyno tuning or to buy the tuning software to tune the efi. My car isn't a daily driver nor will it be so I went with the KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) method, and it works.

As for the 6010 problems it seems like most people having the problems are using aftermarket cranks, but I think msd is reflashing the boxes to work with these cranks.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:49 PM

thanks for the info guys, i just read the stickied thread, but it wasn't too informative. I believe i will be going efi, i have alot of friends that are carb savvy but i dont want to have to rely on them to get my car goin, let the search for parts begin...lol
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SMAX
It's cheaper if you already have all the carb stuff on your car(carb and fuel system).

It really depends on what your intended use of the car is. I have done efi and carb and the main reason I went carb is because I like to tinker too much. I didn't want to spend the money for dyno tuning or to buy the tuning software to tune the efi. My car isn't a daily driver nor will it be so I went with the KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) method, and it works.

As for the 6010 problems it seems like most people having the problems are using aftermarket cranks, but I think msd is reflashing the boxes to work with these cranks.
the car is just a roller, so it doesn't have anything left from the previous owners fuel system, i'm reallly in a bind on deciding between the two. the car is not a daily driver and i want a tuner friendly setup and plan to run a 100 shot. the motor has a mild cam and is otherwise stock.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by campos
the car is just a roller, so it doesn't have anything left from the previous owners fuel system, i'm reallly in a bind on deciding between the two. the car is not a daily driver and i want a tuner friendly setup and plan to run a 100 shot. the motor has a mild cam and is otherwise stock.
The stock intake styles are not good for wet nitrous unless its direct port.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SMAX
The stock intake styles are not good for wet nitrous unless its direct port.
i planned on using a nitrous plate for carb if i went that route
Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

carb set-up was easier in IMHO, no 02's to worry about, No MAF to worry about, hell I dont even have knock sensor anymore that could go bad. Carb set-up was less work, plus with my fuel system all I had to do is get a Electric fuel pump, I dont have to worry about modifying my fuel tank or return lines.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my .02...I have a FI 5.3 in my 63, and there is no way in hell I would ever go back to carb. Yes, I spent the money for EFILive, so I can tune and tinker with it. The FI is so versatile that IMO it just cant be beat.

Jack
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

i have a carb in my 69 impalaand love that set up. plus u keep the "ole school" looks.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have both here......
97 blazer

65 chevelle wagon
Carb

Honestly the truck starts and runs flawless everytime, The car is a little cold blooded and makes me angry when it does not start the first time.....
Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Nice '65 Elec, I'll look for you at Memphis to chat about the carb setup.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a carb setup. I thought it was easier to tune at first but i am finding its alot harder than it seems. it was NOT cheaper than an EFI setup. At all. My carb alone has cost me close to $700 and i still dont have it perfect yet. I had it tuned great for the few WOT runs i made and idlign and such but i have been driving it to and from work all week and i am picking up little things i am trying to tune out.

I bought a $420 wideband 02 setup to monitor the AFR to help set it right. I wouldnt run any setup without a wideband though. The driveability cold is NOT that bad even with my larger cam. I started it when it was 40 the other day and it idled fine giving it no gas although i do have an electric choke. The carb does make soem awesome power and the intake design is super IMO.

It's really up to you. IMO they are just as hard to tune. The carb just requires you to get dirtier and take more time to tune it. I've had to swap out to a 50cc accerlator pimp, red cam, 3 squirter sizes up to a 35, runing a white spring (vacuum secondaries), and i am about to swap from a 6.5pv to a 5.0pv to try to solve the last of my slight lean at part throttle. I had 72 and 76 primary jets in the carb and that was pretty close around 12.5:1 all around but i swapped in holley adjust a jets to further tune it.

It's entirely prefference. I just wanted to do a carb setup. It runs great actually and although i havent checked mpg i would say its somewhere around 20 with 4.56s and 28" tires.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM

awesome tread, thanks guys this has been a problem ive been fighting with to carb or not to carb, tiss the question.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

66 nova here and I decided to go the FI route. I have always wanted and done carbs but the FI is so much nicer, quick start, better gas milage and screw old school look. Wide tires with baby moons, bench seat, digital dash, single stage color and a FI motor under the hood. SLEEPER
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I've had to swap out to a 50cc accelerator pimp...
Every so often, you run across a typo that's just awesome...

In response to the original question - EFI that bad boy, & don't even look back!

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lmao. The stock pimp just wasn't delivering a large enough volume of ho.

Quick Reply: ls1 swap...carb or fi? 65 nova