Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens

FYI. I wanted to go to stainless and after waiting for a month on backorder I got the headers. There are fitment issues on both sides. I called Stainless Works and sent them a email to hopefully get them to change their design so that they would work but I have gotten no response as of yet. It is unfortunate because I feel they could have the best header fit on the market regaurdless of the engine placement mounts with a few changes. The passenger side is worse with interference on the idler arm to the point that you cannot make a full turn. Also note if you have the S&P mounts you will have a idler arm will interfere and you will have to put a dent in them.
Attached Thumbnails Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens-dscf3178.jpg   Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens-dscf3154.jpg   Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens-dscf3168.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for ask.. can you state what BRP kit you are using, the older or new style ? plates, mounts, etc..?

Where there any differences in your install ?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using the new kit. Phil at BRP has decided not to sell the old style anymore. I did get feedback from somebody using S&P and he had to dent the passenger side for the idler. I was told the old style was the same as the new style but that appears to be wrong. I can tell you that the BRP mount on the is in the identical location as a 327 engine mount hat since I compared them myself. Phil also said the original SW headers were on the Year One Camaro but keep in mind that is a rack and pinion steering setup. The one thing that sucks is that I called and sent them a email yesterday asking them to call me back. No response from them as of yet.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the older BRP mounts and mine fit great. I had the opposite problem, I tried the new BRP Muscle Rod 'Hedders' and they did NOT fit with my old mounts. Had to send them back.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have pics of the older mounts? I asked about those and Phil said no more they are going the with the new mounts. That also tells me that the older mounts put the engine further back. Just out of curiosity how do they clear the idler?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old BRP mounts

I guess I did not read your post closely enough that you were using the original steering.
I converted to a rack using the BRP kit as well. That probably helps me a lot.

If you do want to see pictures there are some on my flickr site, you can see a couple of the engine on the sub frame and mounted in the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2250870...7603622067879/
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I believe SW was the header used on the Year One Camaro which did not have the steering box and idler arm when using a rack. Good news is I have spoken to SW and sent the pics. I am waiting to hear that they will modify the headers to make them fit. This will also keep the S&P guys from having to dent for the idler if they go for it. I will post on the results from SW.

Quick Reply: Warning: SW headers do not fit the BRP engine kit for first gens