Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion

i have an 88 silverado pick-up and i have a 4.8 ltr engine and transmission with all the computer and wiring harnesses out of an 06 silverado. i would like
to drop the newer 4.8 with tranny in my 88 and was wondering if anyone knew what i would have to do electronically with the new computer and harness to make the new motor work with my guage cluster and anything else that it needs to and what i need to do to the fuel lines if anything. thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the gauges, you should be able to just use the stock sending units. What gauges do you have?

With the fuel pump, you SHOULD just be able to replace the stock TBI (?) pump with a high pressure Walbro, and be good to go.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, where do you live. You might have to consider the SMOG laws and swappign in a new engine.

I would setup the 4.8L's as a stand alone harness. And then just integrade what is neede between the two harness. (Starter, Alternator, gauge senders, etc).

For the water, remove the plug in the passenger side head and either drill/tap or get a adapter to fit the sender. The 4.8L PCM needs the correct sender input from the one on the front driver side. Not advisable to use or tap into it.

For the Oil.. the Gen III/IV PCM doesn't needed the input, the sender feeds the BCM for the gauges. I would just do one of two things for the oil pressure to use the stock 88 gauges or Idiot light.
1) use the exchange plate (a F-Body or simular one) above the oil filter, drill and tap .
2) either use a adatper at the stock Gen III/IV location (top / back of the block) for the 88 sender or as I and other have done, use the Gen III/IV sender as a adapter, break off the top plastic part, clean it out the bottom part and then drill and tap and then just screw in your 88 sender.

Either one, just use the 88 sender and wire harness.