Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Top's top speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Top's top speed

Hey guys,

I was wondering, how long should it take for the top to go up and down? My seems to be fine, but then again I have nothing to base that on. The reason i ask is even if the top is operating at full speed, it seems slow. Is there any way to speed them up?

I read the thread about the Auto-Trix window fix and how it speeds up the operation of the window. I wonder if something like that would work or does the top work differently than the windows?

DM
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has always been pretty slow as well....it takes a few seconds to roll it down...I dont know the exact time frame though....
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

I can usually come to a stop light, open the handles, roll the windows all the way down, and have the top completely down before the light turns green...that's more than fast enough for me
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

My top has a motor?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taws6m6
My top has a motor?

Are you joking!?

DM
Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turrry
I can usually come to a stop light, open the handles, roll the windows all the way down, and have the top completely down before the light turns green...that's more than fast enough for me

hahaha, I do the same thing....cardinal rule, if the suns out, my top is down!!!! I got heat, I dont care how cold it is out!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
hahaha, I do the same thing....cardinal rule, if the suns out, my top is down!!!! I got heat, I dont care how cold it is out!
I had a guy at a gas station tell me he was glad to see my top wasn't broken. Took me a bit to figure out what he meant, the top was down, he said he was tired of seeing verts with their tops always up.

You can also drive the car with the top down on the freeway in the rain, you won't get wet till you stop or slow down.......
Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taws6m6
My top has a motor?
I have a top?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Rockstar

Lol Chris. Are ya joking!?!
should be in the left rear quarter panel. But if you don't have a switch...no idea...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Lol Chris. Are ya joking!?!
should be in the left rear quarter panel. But if you don't have a switch...no idea...
You know he is right it’s a pump with hydraulic fluid that does the trick, no motor
Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by 99427camaro
You know he is right it’s a pump with hydraulic fluid that does the trick, no motor
I was not literally thinking a motor, anything that generates a force to move something i consider a motor regardless of how it's done, eg. LS1=motor. lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the thread title made me think this was a thread about the fastest you can go before the back window detaches and flies away.

my top moves pretty quick as long as the voltage is all there. if the car is off, it moves slow.
when the car is running, i can start raising or lowering it at about 30mph as i'm slowing to a stop. it's usually completely up or down before the car behind me comes to a complete stop. if there's 2 cars in front of me at a stop light and it turns green, i still have enough time to unlatch and start lowering the the top - it will be most of the way down before i get to 30mph.

Originally Posted by bdrussell
You can also drive the car with the top down on the freeway in the rain, you won't get wet till you stop or slow down.......
i have done that in a rental mustang before. i didn't want to stop because i knew i'd get wet. everyone looks at you like you're insane though.

Quick Reply: Top's top speed