Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Question about convertibles? Dropping the top -- NEW Owner

Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Question about convertibles? Dropping the top -- NEW Owner

This might be a stupid question but I just recently bought a 95 z28 convertible over the winter. I'm new to convertibles. I was going to drop the top for the first time tomorrow - Just wondering if theres anything I need to do -- Do I need to take the back glass out?. I know it's a stupid question. But just basically need step by step instructions on what to do. Never owned a convertible before - I would appreciate it very very much
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step 1: Put the car in park (automatic) / Neutral (Manual).
Step 2: Put the parking brake on.
Step 3: Release the 2 latches that hold down the top.
Step 4: Push the button to put the top down.
Step 5: Enjoy.

That's my usual step by step process. No need to remove the rear glass. Hope that helps, and congrats on getting a convertible!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't ever recall seeing this question before, but now that you mention it.......

The glass is permanently attached to the top, no need to do anything there, just be sure that there is nothing in the top-well (where it folds down into) before you put it down, otherwise the glass could get stressed and potentially break.

While not absolutely necessary, I usually stop my top ~ 4/5s of the way down and then straighten out the top folds and inner liner to help prevent pinching it in the mechanism or stretching. The inner liner (at least on my car) tends to hang-up on the seat-belt towers which results in un-necessary stretching when the top is fully lowered. I push the inner liner backwards away from the belt towers to prevent this before I fully lower the top.

While the tops on these 4th-gen verts is well designed and don't have much problem folding down, I cant say that for the other 'verts I've owned ('70 Cutlass and '92 LeBaron). I'd have to pay closer attention to making sure the top folded neatly down to avoid pinching / stretching on those cars. Also, since the boots were soft (rather than the hard plastic like we have), I'd be sure the latches were in the "locked" position to prevent the little "hooks" from protruding up and stretching the boots once they were installed.

Yeah, OK, I'm a little **** about my 'verts.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

and then enjoy the ride
Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Teching In

how fast do/can you go when you have the hard plastic covers on? was just wondering because when i go 65/70 it looks like the middle part is catching air and trying to fly away almost. dont mean to hijack your thread.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

No one mentioned to lower the windows about 1/2 way down, Am i the only one that lowers them?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

no i lower mine to drop it and put it back up to.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Emphasis on the ENJOY part!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That's all there is to it, but make sure there's nothing on top of the area over the wheels and below the rear window in the trunk. That's where the top folds down and if there's anything there you can break the back glass. Some cars have a plastic divider there to separate the trunk area from the passenger compartment. It can stay in place.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also had some older GM convertibles, and no doubt, the top design of the 4th gen's is excellent.

Power it down at a red light with no fear of damaging it.

On the way up, the windows need to be down at leat 1/4 of the way or else the weatherstrip will catch the window glass.

Wind noise is also relatively quiet, thanks to the 68 degree slope of the windshield.

Have fun!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Don't ever recall seeing this question before, but now that you mention it.......

The glass is permanently attached to the top, no need to do anything there, just be sure that there is nothing in the top-well (where it folds down into) before you put it down, otherwise the glass could get stressed and potentially break.

While not absolutely necessary, I usually stop my top ~ 4/5s of the way down and then straighten out the top folds and inner liner to help prevent pinching it in the mechanism or stretching. The inner liner (at least on my car) tends to hang-up on the seat-belt towers which results in un-necessary stretching when the top is fully lowered. I push the inner liner backwards away from the belt towers to prevent this before I fully lower the top.

While the tops on these 4th-gen verts is well designed and don't have much problem folding down, I cant say that for the other 'verts I've owned ('70 Cutlass and '92 LeBaron). I'd have to pay closer attention to making sure the top folded neatly down to avoid pinching / stretching on those cars. Also, since the boots were soft (rather than the hard plastic like we have), I'd be sure the latches were in the "locked" position to prevent the little "hooks" from protruding up and stretching the boots once they were installed.

Yeah, OK, I'm a little **** about my 'verts.
No you sound just like me with mine..... Except my 68's top broke the drivers side bar that moves the middle rib down the other day on it's way down Now I am wondering..... how does one fix that?

On my SS, I have been, when I am not in a hurry, putting a black towel on the top when I put it down. I have noticed the top folds are rubbing or something and causing wear to one spot on both sides of the top?

Also didn't we all determine you don't want to leave the top down for an extended period?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoy, WELCOME to the club
Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NAL3231
how fast do/can you go when you have the hard plastic covers on? was just wondering because when i go 65/70 it looks like the middle part is catching air and trying to fly away almost. dont mean to hijack your thread.
Took it up to 120 last night with the top down and panels on. I don't recommend that but I had a really BAD day....
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by NAL3231
They should not 'fly away'. I have done up to 100 mph for a very short distance on an open highway and no problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by detroit_903
This might be a stupid question but I just recently bought a 95 z28 convertible over the winter. I'm new to convertibles. I was going to drop the top for the first time tomorrow - Just wondering if theres anything I need to do -- Do I need to take the back glass out?. I know it's a stupid question. But just basically need step by step instructions on what to do. Never owned a convertible before - I would appreciate it very very much
These tops are a real pleasure! Don't worry about it at all. You should try owning the plastic rear windows like I have on my other two rides. Creases, folds, scratches all possible if not babied. The F-bodies just go 'up and down' with no special care needed. Not a mark or crease in 9 years but I still have less than 20k miles on the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just roll down the windows, unlatch the latches (make sure you're going under 40mph for that..lol), slow down to 25mph or lower and hit the button. once the top is down enough to where it won't catch any wind, i hammer the throttle and away i go.

when putting it up, it goes a bit slower and usually requires at least a stop sign and good timing. you get good at that when you're in a hurry to get somewhere and it starts raining... you usually don't get wet at freeway speeds except for what the windshield wipers dump on you (if they're on). when you go to slow down to put up the top... that's when you really get drenched and are in a real hurry to get the top up.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myk
Took it up to 120 last night with the top down and panels on. I don't recommend that but I had a really BAD day....
What is the top recommended speed for a convertible? I'm new to this ragtop thing as well as OP.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by JRS9C1
What is the top recommended speed for a convertible? I'm new to this ragtop thing as well as OP.
It doesn't seem like it matters, unless you're talking 150+, then a wind gust might **** with stability.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell you the truth, imo above 140mph, car feels more stable with the top down... i'm guessing that might have something to do with cross winds though.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by JRS9C1
Usually depends on where your speed limiter is set at. A stock M6 30th WS6 'vert hit its speed limiter at 162MPH for C&D (while a M6 '99 SS 'vert hit the air-wall at 158MPH........ something to do w/ not having "Ram Air" or something like that, LOL). Non SS/WS6 cars w/ 16" rims/non-Z-rated tires have their limiters set lower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about convertibles? Dropping the top -- NEW Owner