Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

TA buyer (soon) t-tops or convert, and A4 or M6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TA buyer (soon) t-tops or convert, and A4 or M6?

I am looking at a Trans Am (preferably WS6) for around 8-10K$. I figure it will have around 70K miles, so is there anything I need to watch out for? I know certain cars have certain issues that are standard. Tranny's on durango's, pumps on tiburon's, etc. Another question is auto or manual, I learned to drive a manual when I was 12, and all the cars I have owned and loved have been also. I prefer it to drive, but what are the differences as far as repair and maintenance costs, and miles to the gallon? Of course I'm going to drive it hard . I know convertibles also affect insurance, but do T-tops? I have had 9 violations with no points on my license, but as an 18 year old college kid insurance is pretty damn high. My camaro has t-tops and the insurance is the same as my firebird without, but seeing as a trans am is a hell of a lot more powerful they might try to get the money out of me. Anything a buyer needs to look out for, please feel free to post and help me out!!!! Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I posted a reply for you about convertible insurance in the other section (Firebirds).
Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Got it, thanks !
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

You can't hardly go wrong w/ either choice, M6 or A4. Weak links are clutches in M6s, and these 7.5" rear axles are weak w/ power adders (M6s tend to be harder on the axles). IMO, I wouldn't even consider an A4 in any f-bod, M6 is much more engaging to drive. And it gets better highway MPG than an A4. I've heard as high as 32MPG w/ a M6 LS1, never heard of a A4 doing better than 28.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

After having a convertible, I can't imagine having T-tops. I love dropping the top! Plus, with T-tops, you have to manually take them in and out - with a convertible it's all done from the drivers seat.

As for transmission, it's really what you prefer. I like a manual in ANY car, so it was a no brainer for me here to search for an M6.

As for insurance, I'm 28, married, we have 3 cars (all over 9 years old), full coverage w/ $500 deductible and we pay around $100/month for all 3.

Getting a WS6 convertible, M6 for $8K will be unlikly, but $10-11K might buy you a nice one, depending on year, condition, and options.

With Any Ls1 F-body, the rear is the weak link.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
You can't hardly go wrong w/ either choice, M6 or A4. Weak links are clutches in M6s, and these 7.5" rear axles are weak w/ power adders (M6s tend to be harder on the axles). IMO, I wouldn't even consider an A4 in any f-bod, M6 is much more engaging to drive. And it gets better highway MPG than an A4. I've heard as high as 32MPG w/ a M6 LS1, never heard of a A4 doing better than 28.
I've gotten better than 28 with mine. It is a 2000 SS A4 machine. It does have a tune, high flow cats with true dual exhaust.

And I was torn about getting an A4 vs the M6, I have been happy having the A4, but I also use it as a daily driver.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

I am basically sold on the t tops you guys. Thanks!!!!! About the M6 vs A4, I really want like. 400 horses or so, and im sure I will put nitrous on it because my stepdad is an expert sort of. I LOVE driving the manual, but if in the long run its gonna end up losing me a few grand, it may not be worth it. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

I doubt it will cost a few grand more to get a M6. they are more desirable, but I don't think it adds that much to the used value.

As for T-tops, why that over a vert, if you are open minded to both? To me, t-tops are a pain to deal with. Plus there are leaking issues associated with it.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like t-tops, simply because I don't like the look of the verts with the top up, the verts are typically heavier, and I get all the open air I want with the t-tops while maintaining the same structural integrity as a coup. Mine don't leak so I guess I can't relate there. As far as M6 or A4, I have had both and my ride now is an A4. At first I was reluctant to go A4, but this deal was just to good to pass up. I took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised to find out the the A4 is really great in these cars, especially after tuning the tranny a little. The M6 was fun to drive, but sometimes a pain in the *** in stop and go traffic as a daily driver. The main reason why I wanted an M6 is because I was afraid that the A4 was going to be a dog, I was wrong. You'll likely want a higher stall torque converter/shift kit if you really want to wake it up. Also, even though they are a little easier on the rear end, the a4 will fly apart under too much horsepower (needs to be built for any substantial power adding).
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Well voting from what I have heard from people who have owned both the A4 and M6, I should be okay in either route, and once the power gets heavy both will need reinforcing done. The clutch will be a bit expensive, but I think worth it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

If I could do it all again, I would have gone for an M6 TTop bird. I love the convertible and all, but I miss not having the lines of the Ttops.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

I hear alot about ttops from people that had them and their new car doesn't, in my opinion that is the most valuable way to tell.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When I bought my a4 vert off of ebay I had to pick it up in Indiana, best drive of my life coming home, car ran great got over 30 mph w/the cruise on and no matter what people say, their is no substitute for no top.

Caveat, this is not my daily driver, weekend toy.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Hey todd, I really think my car would get good gas milage too if I could drive it rite!! lol!
prob. is I don't drive it much, so when I do....Hold on!!!!..............car only has 24K on the clock & every time I put it back in the garage i fill guilty cuz I just beat the **** out of it all day long!!......
Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a A4 convertible, and you get plenty looks with the top down and a nice rumble from the exhaust. You even get the occasion thumbs up. And a A4 is no slouch, mine has no problem barking the tires shifting from first to second, and that's leaving it in drive.

Quick Reply: TA buyer (soon) t-tops or convert, and A4 or M6?