Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

97 Firebird Cannot Get The Top All The Way Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 Firebird Cannot Get The Top All The Way Up

I have a 97 Firebird Convertable that has a top the was missing several of the bolts in the pivot points. I have found one at a junkyard and now have all of the bolts in place. The Power Top works and gets that latches within an inch of latching. No matter how much I push, I cannot get the top to latch. I spoke with the prior owner and he always had a lot of problems getting it to latch. It is like the top is too tight. I released the power top's hydraulics in the trunk and cannot get it to latch. I have moved the top up and down several times both with the Power Assist and manually and still cannot get it to latch. Any tips??
Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe check the bolts that you put in to make sure they are not holding the frame from extending all the way.

Also, if there was a bunch of bolts missing in the first place, then the previous owner could not have put the top up anyway, so if it has been sitting down for a long time period who knows what it could be without looking at closely.

Get someone to try and close it and look at the frame to see if something is wrong.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are adjustable rubber stops down by the hinges. Try loosening those off a bit.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a vinyl or cloth top?