Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

sub frame connectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sub frame connectors

did anybody ever make the double diamond sub frame connectors again? don't wanna sound rude but PLEASE don't mention anything other than double diamond.
THANKS
Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Kenny Brown was the guy who made the DD's and since he is now focusing on Mustangs, I doubt we will see them again. And as for not mentioning anything but the DD's, well... this will be the shortest thread in history

DM
Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Well Kenny Brown was the guy who made the DD's and since he is now focusing on Mustangs, I doubt we will see them again. And as for not mentioning anything but the DD's, well... this will be the shortest thread in history

DM
/thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone has his contact info, might want to pick up the phone and ask... I assume they were reproduced one-offs?

Looks like you can post a request here:
http://www.kennybrown.com/parts-de-jour/garage-sale

Here is what they looked like:

DM

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-18-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

No they were a listed item, but then he got real sick and almost died from what I heard; now he's just focusing on the Stangs, for obvious reasons. Thanks for the link, but I had it, but I'm sure it'll help someone else out

Ehhh... I just tossed in my .02 over in the request board, lol... we'll see...

However... When I did talk to Ken, he did tell me that he did not mind me reproducing a few as long as I didn't make a habit out of it... I have a buddy that is a fabricator and welder that can do the work, but I would need one to copy, he will not do it from scratch, he doesn't have the time or resources to do R&D.

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 08-25-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stinks that nobody else makes something similar. you'd think KB would start making them again if he's back in business. i tell you what once you ride in a vert that has them you sure can tell a difference in the other junk out there. maybe when (if) they make the vert camaro KB will start making them again. then again if he has a board maybe if we get a group order KB will do a run.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

^ That would be great, but I dunno how well it would work to rip off and replace my welded UMI SFCs... :-(
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I held out for several years hoping he'd make them again and finally gave in earlier this year and had some UMI ones welded in. Literally the care feels new to me now. It tracks MUCH better, feels like *one* car, and is much more enjoyable to drive. Would the DD's be better? They're obviously a superior design but I doubt my weekend cruiser would benefit any more than what I got out of the ones I ended up with...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

I think it's UMI that makes a 3 point SFC, I wonder what the difference is between that and the Ken DD's; it looks like the same concept.

DM
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Over certain odd parking lots, bumps and speed-bumps, I get a weird bump/impact (exhaust I think) around the center where I sit -- didn't get that before the UMI SFCs... I think the frame now flexes less, but the exhaust ends up flopping around more?

I agree with your comments on the way the car now feels, apart from the above.

Originally Posted by BigRedZag
I held out for several years hoping he'd make them again and finally gave in earlier this year and had some UMI ones welded in. Literally the care feels new to me now. It tracks MUCH better, feels like *one* car, and is much more enjoyable to drive. Would the DD's be better? They're obviously a superior design but I doubt my weekend cruiser would benefit any more than what I got out of the ones I ended up with...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

UMI 3-pt. do not fit convertibles, else I would have bought them. I think UMI could make them work, just improve the clearance a bit on the 'vert. -- so the design would have to be modified... Try emailing them and see what they say.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...merj50u0j1i1q3

SLP also makes 3-pt SFCs, but no longer makes the 'Vert version which was part #70804 (bolt-on).

I think it's UMI that makes a 3 point SFC, I wonder what the difference is between that and the Ken DD's; it looks like the same concept.

DM

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-17-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Updated SLP info
Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

I had kenny brown double diamonds on my 99 vert and it was incredible how much better the car was. Waaaaaay tighter night and day. Fast foward now I have an 02 vert and was totally bent went I found out you could not get them any more. Havent found any other 3 points that work on a vert. I ended up welding in some UMI sfc's and while its better than stock it still sucks big time. I hate it to the point I'm considering selling the car. It still flexes and twists and creaks I can't stand it. If I could get my hands on a set of these I would cut out my UMI's in a second. They are the best bar none.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a new pair of the 3 point SLP sfc's. Yes, I know they're not available anymore, bought these from a local guy on Craigslist. $150 brand new in the box. He was asking $370 but nobody would bite. Car definitely feels a TON better now. I also added LCA's and a panhard bar.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by farmington
I bought a new pair of the 3 point SLP sfc's. Yes, I know they're not available anymore, bought these from a local guy on Craigslist. $150 brand new in the box. He was asking $370 but nobody would bite. Car definitely feels a TON better now. I also added LCA's and a panhard bar.

I thought these did not work on a convertible.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Well seeing how these companies (except for Brown) are all sponsors (I think), then why can't we get them to produce these? Granted, there are not as many verts, but wouldn't a T-Top benefit from these as well?

But like I said a while back, if I can get a set of the DD's then my boy could reproduce these in a limited quantity since I got the go ahead from Brown himself when we first started taking about these in another thread. If my boy is still willing and for the right price, we could have these. I just need someone to offer up a set to fab from.

DM
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well they are still available, but are said not to fit convertibles? So what gives, did SLP once make a version for 'Verts? Have pics installed on your 'Vert?

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...02&BIG=70802-1

http://www.slponline.com/inst/70802.pdf

Originally Posted by farmington

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Why doesn't KB just license his design, especially if he does not plan to make them any longer?!

Well seeing how these companies (except for Brown) are all sponsors (I think), then why can't we get them to produce these? Granted, there are not as many verts, but wouldn't a T-Top benefit from these as well?

But like I said a while back, if I can get a set of the DD's then my boy could reproduce these in a limited quantity since I got the go ahead from Brown himself when we first started taking about these in another thread. If my boy is still willing and for the right price, we could have these. I just need someone to offer up a set to fab from.

DM
Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Just received a reply about 3pt. SFRs from UMI:

"We need to take our 2-Point convertible SFC's and build additional bracing for them and turn them into 3-Point SFC's. We hope to do this sometime in the future but haven't attempted it yet."

Good news, time to start your phone call requests and emails! Hopefully they can start making them this year... But, what about a solution for those of us with their 2pt. already welded?!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

How much were the old DDs?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Here's the original announcement of the SLP version that was posted on this site along with original pricing:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...available.html

Quick Reply: sub frame connectors