Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Anyone leaving their T/A 'verts STOCK??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Anyone leaving their T/A 'verts STOCK??

With so many posts about mods here recently in the convertibles section how many have stock factory cars? There appear to very few left without at least something having being done to the car, whether it be a hood or different exhaust or suspension.
Who has a legitimate stock 'as it came from the factory' Trans Am convertible??

* Note: You do not have to count after market batteries or tires, oil filters (even though I am a fanatic and have Goodyears, Delco battery, etc..). I love having a factory stock example right down to the original manufacturers. I'm sure I might get a few responses from those with the '02 CE 'verts because I see them on ebay every so often with less than 10k miles on them. Anyone else out there?? I'm not looking for opinions. Thank you!

Last edited by NC01TA; 09-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can probably count the stock parts on my car and they are heavily outnumbered by the not stock items.

I don't see a point unless it is a rare car and you are a car collector. I like to enjoy mine and race the hell out of it.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Bone stock with one exception - an SLP lid and bellows, but that can be swapped back in just a few minutes.

Still has original exhaust, 16" wheels, etc.
I'm planning on adding 17" wheels and maybe an exhaust but I doubt I'll go any farther than that.

I don't consider maintenance items as deviating from stock, so things like battery, tires, etc. don't count.

Now, a truly "as it left the factory" car with all OEM equipment or exact OEM replacement parts? THAT would be impressive to see.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive this car for fun frequently, so I've made some driveability improvements.

But every factory stock part that came off (including fan belts and shocks) have been socked away in case I need them someday.

Car is fairly rare (I know, it's a relative term). 1 of 280 built in 2001 that are Ram Air, 6 speed, convertible.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only mods are in my sig and were done to help a vert last longer.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, there are plenty bare bones stock verts out there you just don't see them cause their owned by someone who isn't into cars like us and post their cars on the internet for all to see. I'll give one example; everyday when I leave for my daily commute, an older woman passes me in a camaro 35th l/e vert, the lady works at a walmart, she parks her car as close to the door as she can so she doesn't have to walk far. Is her car junk, no but before long if someone doesn't save it, it will be. Is she worried about it being original, I hardly think so, if it gets her from point a to point b shes happy, basic transportation for her, nothing more.

IMHO, these cars were too mass produced to be a rare collectible unless they have under 5k miles, hell I would be thrilled in 5, 10, or 20 years just to break even on my car, people are giving these cars away as compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Life is too short to save these cars, use it and enjoy it...mine stays parked in my garage because I like to keep my stufff a certain way, not because its my backup 401k.

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 09-05-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I drive this car for fun frequently, so I've made some driveability improvements.

But every factory stock part that came off (including fan belts and shocks) have been socked away in case I need them someday.

Car is fairly rare (I know, it's a relative term). 1 of 280 built in 2001 that are Ram Air, 6 speed, convertible.
I believe your car will be very valuable one day. You see the mass produced crappy horsepower cars of the late 70's bringing big $$ right now. Imagine what your rare (yes it is rare) LS1 'vert will bring 20 years from now.

I really didn't want to start an opinion page on 'mods vs stock' or 'collectible vs worthless' comments. I was just wanting to know who else out there has stock factory cars that they drive.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I really didn't want to start an opinion page on 'mods vs stock' or 'collectible vs worthless' comments. I was just wanting to know who else out there has stock factory cars that they drive.
Quoted because it needs repeating again.

One of the criteria I had when looking for my TA was that it be unmodded. Other than low miles examples with Barrett-Jackson style pricetags, stock examples are far outnumbered by modded ones.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

My Trans Am is 100% stock it even has a paper filter.
I struggle with whether or not I want to mod it.
Last night night the wife and I took a beautiful 5 hr ride through the country side. We had the top down and it was nice that the car was so quiet and smooth.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

stock and unmolested for me
Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not me. I bought it bone stock...but that only lasted until I got to the dragstrip for baseline times the following weekend Now the only thing that's OEM are the body panels and windshield
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Quote: "One of the criteria I had when looking for my TA was that it be unmodded. Other than low miles examples with Barrett-Jackson style pricetags, stock examples are far outnumbered by modded ones."

You have that right. In 8-12 short years the T/A stock 'verts, already in low numbers, are disappearing real quick.

Quote: "My Trans Am is 100% stock it even has a paper filter.
I struggle with whether or not I want to mod it.
Last night night the wife and I took a beautiful 5 hr ride through the country side. We had the top down and it was nice that the car was so quiet and smooth."

I finally found someone else like my wife and I. While I love a nice spirited LS1 run every now and then there is nothing like a cruise on the Blue Ridge Pkwy with the top down and an exhaust sound that doesn't cause car alarms to activate.

Quote: "stock and unmolested for me"

Thank you! We are not alone.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

I remember I broke a valve spring last year and when I replaced them I went ahead and upgraded to stronger Comp springs and pushrods. Original cam still. Little by little it seems stuff gets changed. Any changes I do I try to make them the type of things that could be easily swapped back.... wheels, lid, etc., but when doing maintenance or repairs I do look for more durable replacement parts where applicable. Does this still count?

Back in the day I has an all original '72 Trans Am. It felt like a duty to keep it stock and original almost the point of being an obligation.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now why would you want to leave it bone stock? That is like buying a computer with 2 GB of memory, then realize it is slow but don't add another 2 GB because you want to keep it "stock". Makes no sense to me.

Besides, modifications are fun, and keep your interest in the same vehicle before the inevitable next vehicle purchase... ;-)

*ahem* was that an opinion? Ooops.

Quick Reply: Anyone leaving their T/A 'verts STOCK??