Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Cleaning Drain Holes on a 4th Gen F-Body Vert?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning Drain Holes on a 4th Gen F-Body Vert?

Anyone have pics or hints on where to find the drain holes on a 4th Gen F-Body vert's rocker area? I haven't been able to locate any information online, and want to make sure my car drains and dries out properly.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Lower your top to full downward position. Then look directly behind the driver and passenger seatbelt brackets that have the little plastic covers on them (for the tonneau covers). You'll see the drip rail and the drain hole along the base of the rail where it meets what would be the back of the seatbelt area for the front seats. Simply reach in and pull out any trash and leaves that have fallen in and clogged them up. Hope this helps and my description is ok!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ yup you got it right.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the answers, and I will make use of this information, but I was actually asking about the rocker panel area of the car. Any help you could give me about that area would be greatly apreciated too!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

what you mean rocker panel area?

Do you have water standing above wheel wheels?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Here's what happens:

When my car sits out in a normal rain or when I wash it, it drains OK. But if we get a heavy downpour, I can end up with water in the rear footwells.

What I'm looking to do is to clean out any and all drain holes to make sure I don't have a collection of leaves, pine needles, dead insects, etc., that are impeding the drainage process.

If I understand correctly, there's a channel or gutter at the base of our tops, and that can be vacuumed out to help keep it clear of outdoor debris.

But where does the water route to once it's in that channel?

In the First Gen cars, the water would drain along with the windows into the quarter panels and then into the rocker area, which had drain holes stamped into it. I'm assuming that the 4th Gen had something similar, but I can't find any doco on what the system is. I just want to make sure my vert doesn't develop rust from the inside of the car.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Teching In

That's commonwith our cars unfortunately. The drain holes run downward through the inside of the forward-most part of the rear quarter panels. Shouldn't develop rust issues. Easiest way I've found to remove the hard to reach debris from the gutter is with a straightened wire hanger. Hope this helps!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

^ yep , exactly how you said it. This will make sure the drains are completely un clogged. I never knew about the drains on cars (this is my first car).

Obvious to someone who has had atleast 1 drop top before. I ended up finding out the hard way when one time i found 2 buckets of water in the car.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Haha, yeah man. been there before. i never knew why every time it rained I'd have 40 gallons in my back seat!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning Drain Holes on a 4th Gen F-Body Vert?