Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Removing Convertible Top Completely... For. ever.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Convertible Top Completely... For. ever.

Got a 2000 ss and am wondering if removing the entire, or most of, the convertible top assembly is possible. Well I'm sure it's possible but does it give structure to the car even when it is down? Main reason I am wanting to remove it is, my stupid self left her out in a snow storm and forgot to clean the snow off and what was a newer top got stretched down and separated from the rear window, Also I never have the top up anyways because it is hard to see out of for a taller dude. I have 5 vehicles and a few motorcycles so I dont really have the need to drive it unless the weather permits. Also have plenty of garage space to keep it in year round now. Aside from me not needing or really wanting the top, the weight loss should be decent I would imagine. This again all hinges on if the top actually provides structure preventing me from removing. I could always add a cage/bar to make up for it ehh?!? Also correct me if I'm wrong but dont the verts come with extra bracing underneath? Thought I read that somewhere years ago. Anyways thanks in advance for any replies. Appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No structure in the top. There are 2 large pins that attached the hydraulic cylinders to the top, one on each side under the plastic trim. Remove the cylinders, plastic lines and pump as an assembly. Top is attached to the rear of the car with a series of bolts around the bottom bow. That's it.

Make sure you keep the trips short.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
No structure in the top. There are 2 large pins that attached the hydraulic cylinders to the top, one on each side under the plastic trim. Remove the cylinders, plastic lines and pump as an assembly. Top is attached to the rear of the car with a series of bolts around the bottom bow. That's it.

Make sure you keep the trips short.
Awesome, that's good to hear. I appreciate it. I'll start this next weekend and make updates on my progress when I can.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I can't imagine removing the top will help resale value, 99.9% sure it will hurt it. If you don't want the top up because the rear window is busted-out, just put it down and leave it down. You won't save more than 100 lbs in weight by removing the top, pump and mechanism.

The 'verts do come from the factory with a thin metal plate that bridges across under the trans to help stiffen the floor board, but it is nowhere near as structural as a sub-frame connector. A driveshaft loop probably works just as good as the factory bracing (in fact, most loops bolt in place of the bracing).
Old 04-16-2018, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Leave it down

You could get a RK sport tonneau cover that covers up all of rear seats and the convertible skeleton.
Pictures for reference , not a finished project yet.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I can't imagine removing the top will help resale value, 99.9% sure it will hurt it.
Now that is just silly talk, Why would I ever want to sell it? Never going to happen unless I'm dead lol. I do agree with you though but it doesn't bother me, plus I'll just toss all the vert parts in storage in case my future grand kids want to sell it.

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
You could get a RK sport tonneau cover that covers up all of rear seats and the convertible skeleton.
I have seen these before and would love to get one if the price was right.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I can't imagine removing the top will help resale value, 99.9% sure it will hurt it. If you don't want the top up because the rear window is busted-out, just put it down and leave it down. You won't save more than 100 lbs in weight by removing the top, pump and mechanism.

The 'verts do come from the factory with a thin metal plate that bridges across under the trans to help stiffen the floor board, but it is nowhere near as structural as a sub-frame connector. A driveshaft loop probably works just as good as the factory bracing (in fact, most loops bolt in place of the bracing).
+1 It's your ride but I'd just lower the top, put the tonneau cover on and slap a "no fat chicks" sticker on the dash if weight is a concern... never know when you'll get stuck in a pop up thunderstorm, even a broken top would be better than nothing.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default in search of convertible top and frame assembly, and or removal info.

Originally Posted by ZACK777
Now that is just silly talk, Why would I ever want to sell it? Never going to happen unless I'm dead lol. I do agree with you though but it doesn't bother me, plus I'll just toss all the vert parts in storage in case my future grand kids want to sell it.

I have seen these before and would love to get one if the price was right.
did you take whole frame assembly off? you still got it. I need one. if you are paying to store. it, I can take it off your hands. Also was it easy to take off, can you describe procedure, attach pics of where bolts/pins are?. Please.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by carsmoker
did you take whole frame assembly off? you still got it. I need one. if you are paying to store. it, I can take it off your hands. Also was it easy to take off, can you describe procedure, attach pics of where bolts/pins are?. Please.
It is very easy to take off as is the electric motor. Hangs now open from the roof inside my garage. Remove the trim panels and it is obvious. Did so on my 01 SS and carefully used silicone to seal the tonneau cover. We get 310 days of sunshine here (officially). My other cars get driven when it rains. Once all the unnecessary weight was removed, along with the spare tire and jack, I relocated the battery to the tire well. Perfect fit, improved weight distribution.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ZACK777
Got a 2000 ss and am wondering if removing the entire, or most of, the convertible top assembly is possible.the weight loss should be decent I would imagine. This again all hinges on if the top actually provides structure preventing me from removing. I could always add a cage/bar to make up for it ehh?!? Also correct me if I'm wrong but dont the verts come with extra bracing underneath? Thought I read that somewhere years ago. Anyways thanks in advance for any replies. Appreciate it.
Removing the motor for the top too.
Fact: GM added extra bracing only to the 4th gen convertibles, not any other.
This is the current off the shelf solution even with the extra GM braces. UMI weld in SFC for convertibles.

Massive tubular connector welds to the F+R sub frames, optionally welds to a jacking rail welded to the pinch weld under the doors. Completely changes the car with a roll bar into what feels like its carved from a solid block of steel. This photo is NOT mine but an UMI photo. Permanently delete the top, a homage to the first gen Viper.

Last edited by LSX Thunder; 08-22-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Convertible Top Completely... For. ever.