Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!

Hey all!
I bought a 2002 white on tan WS6 Trans Am Convertible w/auto and 119k. It sat since 2007 and spent the last three years in a garage where I found it in the classifieds. I am guessing it spent the years previous to that parked under a tree with the hood up depositing acorns down into everything. I only paid 5k for it without looking at it in person which I thought was a good price till I got home from deployment and looked at it. (Supposedly it ran, but needed and oil leak fixed) Man I am kicking myself for it.

Here is what I have done to it:
-Used LS1 engine (Oil leak that needed repair was holes in the block from #5 rod)
-Rebuilt the used engine because it had two spun bearings
-Rebuilt the original 241 heads
-Port and polished a LS6 pump, LS2 timing chain, GM MLS head gaskets, LS6 valley cover mod, SLP lid
-New filters, belts, hoses, fluids, plugs, wires
Replaced water pump, thermostat, A/C tensioner and pulley
-Replaced the exhaust manifolds and converters (one was hollowed out??)
-Replaced front clip (everything except the hood which also needs replaced)
-Replaced radiator core support and fender aprons
-Replaced driver side door
-Replace both window motors (Did the epoxy washer mod for the regulator)
-New door and trunk locks
-New key FOB
-Replaced the three channel axle with a proper 4 channel axle (Has trac control)
-Bought another speedline rim
-New to me tires
-New fuel pump
-Had front seats restitched (Have yet to reinstall them)
-New windshield
-New center console pad
-New radio (Went double din)
-Replaced brake abutment brackets (pins froze up)
-Cleaned most of the oil stains off the tan top
-Spent days cleaning stuff

It still has a few issues but is finally driveable and all of the idiot lights are off! The dash surprisingly has NO CRACKS! Other than a few stains in carpet the interior cleaned up very well. The transmission is the only thing I have not had to work on yet. It works so I am leaving it alone for now. This site has been a wealth of knowledge and has helped me every step of the way on this car.

For some reason the drivers side window leaks right onto my leg. The end of the roof rail weatherstripping is all spongy (The rubber coating is gone) and letting the water soak into it and then dripping inside the car.

It needs some drivers rear quarter panel work and a new top and a paint job.

It also has a drain that kills the battery in about 24 hours. Havent figured that one out yet.

I am somewhere about 9k into it including purchase. Given the market for legit WS6 convertibles I think I am still doing ok. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!-hd-pics-206.jpg   New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!-hd-pics-226.jpg   New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!-hd-pics-198.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is if your building it as a investment you will be sorely disappointed.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You stretched that $4k a long way on the repairs. You are a bit behind on this deal, but you will be o.k.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Nope, not an investment. I am building this to take with me on embassy duty so it will be traveling the world for the next three years. Cool story someday I am sure.

I have stretched the 4k quite a bit but I have done all of the work myself. I learned a lot on my third gen that is in storage in TX. It has a ton of work done to it and I call it the GM parts bin.

I have seen plenty of clean low mile WS6 verts going for high teens low 20's on ebay. My car will never be there but all my buddies love riding around in this thing. I will say it didnt get me laid on its first weekend like my 2012 2SS camaro, but hey, it turns heads even in this kind of shape.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWS6Vert
....I have seen plenty of clean low mile WS6 verts going for high teens low 20's on ebay. My car will never be there but all my buddies love riding around in this thing.....
There are a number of verts on Ebay being offered for >$20K. But, most of those aren't selling at that level unless they have 10K to 20K 1 or 2 owner miles. These are pretty close to being new cars.

The 2001 below with 17K miles and priced <$18K is pretty typical of what they bring. I've seen some very clean and original 1 or 2 owner 2002's with 40K to 50K miles being offered in the $13,500-$15,000 range. In my opinion those are typically better buys than trying to resurrect a 120K mile car. >90% of buyers are looking mainly at the odometer to gauge the car's general value. These verts with 40K-50K miles are still very popular and not depreciating more than say $0-$500/yr assuming mileage remains the same (ie their resale value is excellent).

At $9K in so far you're probably going to add another $4K-$6K on the things you've mentioned that still remain. And there will still be a 119K mile transmission, suspension, heating & AC, and electrical system to further add to the final cost. I follow classic cars as well and generally, you go underwater in costs trying to restore most cars....unless one is capable of doing most or all of the work themselves...including paint and body work. Buying the car "done" from the restorer/reconditioner (or a clean original) is nearly always the cheapest way to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-Convertible-2-Door-2001-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-convertible-2-door-5-7-l-/221551840896?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339584ce80&item=221551840896&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited by Firebrian; 09-23-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sell you my silver vert that is already done just rolled 73k
Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

At this point you might as well keep going...it is your toy and you have a plan for it! Enjoy it and go have fun! I really like mine and plan to keep it for a very long time!
BTW, thank you for your service!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Make it what you want it to be. Put it this way, if you would have bought a clean example, then you would be in it for $10K, then to make it your own, you'll be in it, that much more. In the end, you'll probably be a head by a slight margin.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

any more updates on this car

Quick Reply: New to me 02 WS6 Vert....PITA!