Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Anyone sound deaden a vert?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone sound deaden a vert?

Fellow 'vert owners...

I'm looking to quiet up the interior a little. I do drive with the top up on occasion and the car really sounds like a tin can.

I think I have realistic expectations - it's a 'vert; I don't expect it to be a tomb inside.

My question is for anyone who's done it - what areas should I focus on? All of it? I am debating between basically doing the vertical surfaces only (doors, quarter, package shelf, etc) or if it's worthwhile to pull up the carpeting and do the entire floor as well.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done this, but plan on it later this year. IMO you should pull up the carpet and do the floor, and trunk area as well as the doors.

Im betting it would make a huge improvement.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I been thinking about this also as summer project.

The most troubled area in our cars are the doors and trunk area.
I seen people use 2 layers in doors and trunk area.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I am reading, the CLD tiles (dynamat, etc) are only needed to cover a portion of panels that reverberate.

I am leaning towards the sound deadener showdown tiles. He recommends 25% coverage, so I'd be looking at approximately 60 tiles for full coverage. That's roughly $155 shipped.

I have a foam outlet near me, so I was planning to pick up polyethylene foam for a decoupler. If I am satisfied, I stop. If I am not, I can get some MLV to lay down on top of the foam...should run me around $200 for the MLV.

If/when I pull the trigger, I'll let you all know what my experience and impressions are in a 'vert.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure i would do the doors on any camaro vert or not, there already big heavy doors know for cracking at the hinges. adding more weight to it will only make them crack even faster
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I ordered 40 CLD tiles, (2) rolls of 4'x8' MLV, and some closed cell foam as a decoupler. Will share my experiences and results!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My car was done by the previous owner. The trunk, doors and under the carpet. I rarely drive with the top up because my car is a toy or weekend driver but when I have, I still think it is loud. Keep in mind, I have no idea how loud it was before the sound deadner was installed.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it was here that I saw a thread where the guy was using insulation foam. Might be a better option on weight alone.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I think it was here that I saw a thread where the guy was using insulation foam. Might be a better option on weight alone.
Do you mean the foam that you spray from a can and it is used to seal small openings in the walls of a house?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a convertible at one time that was done with 1/2" insulating foam blanket. It was closer to carpeting. It was everywhere from the inner passenger door panels back into the trunk. Couldn't have cost all that much to buy the material. Don't know how it worked as I immediately removed it all as soon as I got the car. And 10-15 years later I still find uses for that stuff that came out of the car for projects around the house. I've had 3 verts and never thought any of them were rattlely. Then again, you get used to them.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

YEP, bgw70, that is the stuff, lol. I wish I could find those pics! Not sure if I saw it here or on one of the Fbody facebook pages.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a Vert, but not sounded deadened. However I did sound deaden my Firebird, every square inch I could with Dynamat. Inside the door shells and on the door panel portion itself. Add a layer of Ensolite foam, studio quality ****.

Get everything back together and didn't notice a damn bit of difference. Leary to bother with doing it to the Vert, feels like a waste of money and extra unnecessary weight for the Bird.

Quick Reply: Anyone sound deaden a vert?