Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

one piece top

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default one piece top

Hey all, so the back window in my top got damaged by my neighbors cat, so my insurance company is paying for the repair.

Went to a well known (and highly recommended) top shop, and the guy told me he can replace just the back curtain with the window, or he can replace the whole top with a one piece top.

I'm leaning towards the one piece because the whole top itself is pretty old and worn, and probably in need of replacement.

So my question is, for those that know a lot about these verts, is there any real disadvantage to a one piece top?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure about the top, but just popping in to say that I feel your pain Bro, lol.... These ******* neighborhood cats are using my top as a scratching post! I'm about to serve them a nice tuna meal.... there LAST tuna meal, that is! lol....

How did your insurance cover the top; did you have full coverage or something?

But again, as for the top, not sure about that one, but I do know this... if your top looks like crap, deff replace it for a new one... especially if the insurance is eating the bill
Old 04-30-2015, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do have full coverage. I think in this particular case it falls under comprehensive.

And yeah, if I wasn't on such good terms with the neighbors (they actually offered to cover half of my deductible, which was nice) that cat would've been long gone.

And surprisingly enough, after 13 years the outside of the top still looks great, save some dirt and algae in the hard to clean spots (stupid washington climate). But the backing inside the top is getting worn, and I'm worried about it leaking in the next year or so.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Definitely get the entire new top as long as it is the original Haartz cloth material. Don't get anything cheap. A proper top and installation will run around $800 - $1,000 at a good shop ($500 for the top alone + the labor).
Old 04-30-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The top is made by robbins, but I verified with the shop that it's Stayfast, etc.

Total quote came out to about 2k. Hopefully the insurance won't blow their lid at that lol
Old 04-30-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the recurring problems we vert owners experience is the separation of the back window glass from the material. When that happens, it's a smaller task to replace just the rear curtain rather than the entire top (though quite a few people have used a variety of methods to retain the glass - none worked long term for me). So, if you have a choice of going with a 1 piece or two piece top, I'd suggest the two piece. Also, be sure that the window on the one-piece top is glass (rather than plastic) and has the defroster grid in it.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually found a shop who would do the 2 part top for cheaper. Looks like the insurance company is willing to pay for the whole shebang too, so new top here I come!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Actually found a shop who would do the 2 part top for cheaper. Looks like the insurance company is willing to pay for the whole shebang too, so new top here I come!
Rock on!
What brand of insurance do you have?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm insured through farmers.

However i have to rescind my previous statement. The ****heads took a look at it and said 'no, it's due to age.'

Cause the whole bottom half of the window would just magically let go overnight...
Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay.... so I am lost... what is the difference between the one and two piece tops? Another thing, is Robbins a good top? I see it is mentioned.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Okay.... so I am lost... what is the difference between the one and two piece tops? Another thing, is Robbins a good top? I see it is mentioned.
A one piece top has the outside piece (the piece that you see) and the window attached to that. A two piece has a separate curtain that attaches underneath the outside piece that holds the window.

As for Robbins being a good brand, it's the same brand that both of the upholstery shops I took my car to use, and it offers a lifetime warranty on the stitching AND the window adhesion. I can give a more definite recommendation when I get my top in.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I have a 3 piece top then, because I have a 3rd part that covers the frame, like a head liner.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Bro! Looking forward to what you find out, about that Robbins top!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a 3 piece. That headliner is standard regardless of whether you have a one piece or two piece.

I guess technically you could consider the headliner to be a 3rd piece but if you go to a shop, they'll look at you funny if you say that lol

Quick Reply: one piece top