Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Is this a fair price for top replacement labor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is this a fair price for top replacement labor?

I have an '01 SS vert that needs the top replaced BAD. Rear window glass is literally hanging on by a thread now, the opening is for all intents and purposes exposed. I'm ordering a brand new black Haartz Stayfast top with a glass rear window this week to replace the old, dirty and dilapidated tan top.

I live in a fairly rural area and there's apparently only one guy in the county who can do convertible tops. This is one of the only things I will not bother to do to the car myself, so I'm a little nervous about the end result being out of my hands. Called him today and he said he would do it for $385 as the labor charge since I'm providing the top. He is an automotive upholsterer during the day and does these as side jobs at his brother's body shop on the weekends. Said I can bring it in the first Friday after the top comes and he could have ti done after a (long!) day Saturday for pickup on Saturday evening. Does this sound realistic?

Curious to know what some of you have paid (labor cost specifically) and what the turnaround was like. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very fair! Paid $1200 labor and materials for mine 18 months ago here in central Illinois. Talked with my brother in law who knows lots of body shop guys and auto trim guys in chicagoland suburbs and they said that my $1200 was a great price. How much did you pay for the top and window?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

If you have confidence in the guy that labor charge is very fair.
Have you seen any of his other work? You don't need a sloppy job done for any cost, that's for sure. You want it leak free and tight.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Teching In

^^^^^^^
I agree with this too. If you know his work and feel it is done well then it's a good price!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very good price, i was quoted $1500 with them providing the new top
Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I'm paying 1100 next week to someone I know and trust and I think he's giving me a great deal considering the other prices I've received. So yes that Labor price is extremely fair.

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price for top replacement labor?