Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Interior still getting wet. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior still getting wet. Help

I bought a 2000 trans am convertible from a friend. The top was in bad shape and water was under the rear passenger cushion and behind the front seats. I replaced the top and window gaskets. I adjusted the windows up abit. Water is still getting in. So I searched the forums and found out about the two drains in the cavity behind the doors. I looked at them ans see that both are disconnected. Does this cause the water to come into the car, or does it drain out anyway? More importantly how do you reconnect these. Outside underneath? I have no idea how to align and reconnect.
Attached Thumbnails Interior still getting wet.  Help-20160104_191643.jpg   Interior still getting wet.  Help-20160104_191741.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Best thing to do is to pour some water into the cavity and see where it goes. My drains get filled with debris in spring and fall from all the flora here, and it's my daily driver and outside all the time. When I fail to clean them, water will fill the rear seat cavity and splash onto the carpet in front of the rear seats. When they do drain, the water exits under the car, somewhere. Good luck with this.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A follow-up to my previous answer - I now have a leak from the top itself onto the rear seat. My top is still the original from 1999 and is outside all the time. The material has stretched a bit and no longer sits flat leaving small puddles on the top when wet. That water seems to be soaking through the top and dripping inside. A week or so I cleaned and sealed the top and that seems to temporarily stop the water from dripping through. Bottom line is that I need a new top.

Quick Reply: Interior still getting wet. Help