New and improved convertible top material - LS1TECH

Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

New and improved convertible top material

Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
TECH Resident

Default New and improved convertible top material

So I just got off the phone with a convertible top manufacturer (not sure if I can say the name even though there's no competing sponsor...) and had a custom top made in Haartz's new-ish Forte Twill fabric. It was released in 2014, up until that point our cars either had the Haartz pinpoint vinyl or the Haartz stayfast.

From Haartz's website and other sources I've talked to, this new material is a fair bit more durable and the backing is different than the cotton in the Stayfast, so acoustic improvement is had with the Forte Twill.

Best part? It was surprisingly cheap to have the top made in the 2-piece factory style form with a glass window w/ defroster (cheaper than many other kits I've seen using a lesser material or with plastic windows!)

If you have any plans to replace your top in the next year or two, CHECK THIS STUFF OUT. It's a subtle aspect that no one considers when upgrading, don't be that guy! And sorry if I sound like a walking sales advert Just want to raise awareness!
SnIpEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I still have my original top and it is doing very well still. The day may come though when I need a new top and your info will be helpful. Appreciate the post.
NC01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
TECH Resident

When you get a chance you should post a picture or two so we can see the difference.
Carguy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Staging Lane

Yes this post needs pictures and the vendor name.
topless2002SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
TECH Resident

Will post pics once it's done, doing a complete ground up build on it currently so may be awhile. Kevin at Convertible Top Guys is who I talked to, as far as I know that's not stepping on any toes due to no other sponsors selling tops nor am I posting any contact info. They have it on their site in a one piece form but with a plastic window. I wanted the glass with defroster so I'm doing a factory 2 piece style, should arrive in a week or two.
SnIpEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
Staging Lane

Very interested in this, as my wife's Camaro could use a new top soon, and relatively speaking, you're very close to me. Definitely in for pics and information.
HoustonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Does insurance cover tops?
RONIN LSX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Thank you

I want to thank you for the post. I've long been looking for something that'll increase the road noise when the top is up. I'll take a look for sure.

I wonder if it is less expensive than other tops because it is PVC and not cloth. I'm interested to see how well it looks on a F-Body since ours came with cloth from the factory. Decisions decisions.
Batmobile-WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote