Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Driverside water leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driverside water leak?

Every time I wash my car (99 Z28 Convertible), I get a decent amount of water on the driverside interior. The water sits right behind the drivers seat, right inside the door on the little ledge there. The car also had a big nasty spot on the carpet on that side (in the back) when I bought it. I figure the leak must be whats causing that. Any ideas where this leak could be coming from and what to look for? I'm guessing my weatherstripping somewhere is shot, but I don't know where to begin. Thanks for any help guys.

Patrick
Old 08-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get someone to help you ,have them sit inside the car and spray the outside with a hose like you were rinsing it . should pretty much pinpoint your leak.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

common problem, other than replacing the weather stripping not much you can do. I just use CRC silicon spray to keep it nice and new---keeps the water out now.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

hey, on your driverside behind ur rear quarter panel, ther is a drain hole. sometimes is drain hole gets filled with trash like twigs or whatever.....

anyways, when that gets filled up, the water that is coming down from the top isn't being drain properly and is being deposited into ur rear driver side carpet....

now, im not sure if there are two drain holes or that maybe ur leak is due to poor window sealment or worn weatherstripping...but check for those dreain holes....

Just remove the quarter panel, a search for a small hole close to the outer body panel around the same level or area of the wheel well....

good luck.....and dont worry, common problem...my top leaks on my driverside when its raining and i have a fresh supply or napkins handy.....
Old 10-18-2004, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe what it really wants, is the angle of the
window track adjusted to put a little more sealing
pressure onto the weatherstripping. My car only
leaks when it rains and I am moving at pretty high
speed (like over 60) and then the wind drives it in
between the glass and the weatherstrip.

You might try a little silicone dielectric grease on
the weatherstrip but I doubt it will do much except
as a preservative.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

true, however, ive seen f-bodies with a puddle specificaly in the driver side carpet....what caused this was a clogged drain hole.....im not saying thats wat it is and has to be but it could an option to check out the drain hole...it wont hurt....
Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Mine does the same thing, its pretty easy to find where it leaks. Mine got worse after I installed SFC's. But jimmyblue is right about the angle adjustment. I get water on my seat mostly.

Quick Reply: Driverside water leak?