Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

84 Trans-am Convertible - Any Info would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo_vr4
Nice cars, guys.

Vicki: Greetings from a fellow Brit, now living in America. I'm from Leeds. Not too far aways from you. Like UK-WS6, I have an 02 WS6 vert. I'm new to the forum too but hey: Welcome!
Hi Nick,

I'm new to the site aswell, its great isint it?

Nice hearing from you, Leeds is about 1 hour away from me, but it depends on how fast your driving, how are you liking it in America, some people have all the luck.

Not another 02 WS6 owner and a vert at that, the only reason I say that is they are gorgeous, that is the next car I woud like but maybe have to buy a 98 as I cannot afford an 02. I WISH

Anyway please post some pictures I would love to see her.

Hopefully talk to you soon.

Vicky
Old 10-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrws6speed
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting on the forums. I happen to be a convertible person....and I have long been tracking down information.

Here's the history. In 1979 GM started CONTRACTING with companies to produce "factory" convertibles like what ASC and SLP have done with GM cars. It started with National Coach Enterprises and another company. Moving on to the 3rd gens, GM contracted with Auto Form and another company that did some conversions (not too many and they weren't particularly that good).

I've tracked down many people to get information on these cars. I had the privilege of talking to some original owners of these cars who had the savy to contact Auto Form when the company was still around. I purchased an '83 T/A convertible from the original owner. He was able to talk to Autoform and only 10 '83 Convertible T/A's were built. He also met the person who purchased one of the other '83 T/A's. Upon seeing him years later, he asked about the car. It had been in a bad acident, was totaled and crushed.

I also had the opportunity to talk with the original owner of an '86 T/A convertible. He contacted Auto Form and wanted to know about his car. He learned that there were 500 T/A Convertibles produced total for All the Years. I'm unsure of how many Camaro's were produced, but it was significantly more than the T/A's.

Now, the only production year I know for certain is the '83. But given it was such a low production year, there would have to be more 84, 85, & 86 cars to make up for it considering there were 500 total. Here's the thing, based on imperical evidence (I've run into quite a few of these cars), '84 was by far the highest production year. I also own an '84 T/A vert as well. My guess was that there were probably close to 250-350 of these produced.....and I'm leaning towards the higher side. The '85 and '86 ones seem to be much rarer. I run into about 5 '84's for every '85 or '86. I also own an '86 T/A convertible as well.

I have more info, but I've rambled on enough already. I would like to thank everybody for posting to this thread. It is extremely difficult to find information on 3rd Gen convertibles.

Thanx,
Mike
Treasurer, Burnin' It Up: The Firebird & TransAm Club of New Mexico
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible

Hi Mike,

Please go on and tell us more, everyone I talk to about these cars keep wanting more information, no-one seems to know anything.

Thanks for the info I enjoyed reading it, mines an 84, do you think there are a lot left?

Have you any pictures of your cars or a website I can go on?

Thank-you Vicky
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

I'd be glad to post pictures as soon as I can. My desktop took a dump....I'm running on a new laptop I just went out and bought. The secondary hard drive is ok....so all my stuff's there....I just have to get it . It might be easier just to take new pictures....oh well.

Pontiac Historical Services has been working on compiling an ACTIVE database of Pontiac cars. From they data they've gathered, they have statistically inferred that about 1/3 of the 3rd gens have been destroyed. Amazing, isn't it? I don't know a breakdown by year....but I'm assuming it is skewed more towards the early 3rd gens (more of those have been destroyed than the newer ones). So to answer your question about "Are there a lot left"....I would say....not too many.

As a side note, the Land of Enchantment GTO's (New Mexico) have had an opportunity to meet with those who run PHS. Apparently, GM is Not being kind to them (what's new). They are trying to get as much as they can done while they still can.....but the way it looks.....Pontiac Historical Services might not be in operation for very much longer....or running at a much more limited capacity.

I ordered my '02 brand new fully loaded the way I wanted it. It's been a downward spiral of buying TransAms since then (what can I say.....I'm an addict....I have a problem......thing is.....I want to have the problem....I don't want to fix it).

I do have an electronic copy of the original Autoform Brochure (1984). It's posted online....I'll get you the address so that you can get it as well. I know where it came from....and as soon as I have a chance to swing by Arizona, I'm going to pick up an original hard copy.

I have managed to gather information on these cars.....but I don't claim to know everything. If anybody else has information.....please post it.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Hi Mike,

I like learning more about my car, as no-one knows I have it yet as I am keeping it as a suprise for next year so when she's all done and looking nice again I can take her to the show's and all the Pontiac guys will go mad over her, and she might even win some show's.

Do you know what the correct hood is for the 84, what hood as yours got on?

I can't wait to see the pictures of your verts and the rest of them.

We currently have :

1977 T-Top Trans-am - (In Resto)
1978 T-Top Trans-am
1981 T-Top Trans-am
1984 Trans-am Convertible
1988 Trans-am GTA

and a 1976 Hardtop Trans-am which is getting re-sprayed next week and were selling her, the others above we are keeping for show cars, apart from my 88 GTA as she is my daily driver.

We swop and change cars as we had an 84 last week but we have just sold her.

Are there many 02 WS6 verts, as I would like one, one day if I can ever afford one, maybe in a few years I might be lucky to find one.

Have you got a website for your club so I can have a look at it?

If I come across any information about these cars I will post it here.

Thanks again for sharing your information.

Vicky
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

It's good to see you're about as much of a TransAm junkie as I am. I actually just sold a '98 TransAm I had. I guess something has to give somewhere.

Here's a little info about my '83 TransAm. It was bought by Gary from a dealership in Salt Lake City, UT. He wasn't intending on buying a TransAm, but when he walked into the dealership.....there were 3 convertibles sitting on the showroom floor....one red....one black....and one white. Gary purchased the red one and also had the fortune of meeting the purchaser of the white convertible. Years later he ran into the owner of the white convertible. Alas, the car had been completely demolished in an accident. At least the owner was ok.

At the tim, it was a fully loaded TransAm that brought a sticker price of approximately $15,000. The convertible option tacked on almost $7,000 to the sticker price for a whopping total of almost $22,000 (remember...this is 1983 dollars). That was into the price range of Corvette's.

Now you have to consider the history of the time to understand the car. When Gary purchased the car new, the interest rate he recieved for the auto loan was a whopping 18%. WOW!!! It's no wonder that so few of these cars were built.

The '83 is a 305 Cease-fire.....I mean....Cross-fire. Actually, people really seem to put them down.....I think it's a really cool and great running injection system. And I have comparison with TPI's to LT1's to LS1's. Yeah....it may not be the fastest car in the world....but I love it. It's a fully loaded WS6 car. I have the original 15" "Knight Rider" bowling ball rims for it. He had some really weird aftermarket rims on it (the crappiest I've ever seen or DRIVEN on). I have the gold WS6 wheels from my 88 GTA on it right now. It also has a really interesting exhaust system on it. The pipe comes straight over the axel.....into an H-pipe.....to two individual mufflers and then to the exhaust tips. It's the original exhaust system.

As a side note.....there's a guy who builds reproduction back hatches for our cars. Just in case anything ever happens to yours. There's a "common" problem with them (as much as common can be with such rare cars). The hinges that the back hatch ride on tend to ware out and break. Make sure to keep them well lubricated.

Also, on my 84 and 86 the hinges for the trunk are having problems. The metal is "Potting" (I dont' know if I said this right). Basically the metal is of inferior quality and it comes apart. It almost looks like someone took an eyedropper and dripped acid on the hinges. They have little indentions like something is eating them away. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I thought it was something bad with the '84...but then I got the '86 and it was the same thing.

I've got more info.....but I'll shut up for now.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah.....forgot to mention that from what I have heard, the hinges for the trunk are actually common Marine hinges (used for boats and stuff). I haven't actually researched this at all......but if you find anything....let me know.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vickyUK
and heres a picture of the interior, let me know what you think.

Honestly, it looks like someone started a Knight Rider conversion. There are a couple of convertible KITTs that I have seen. Open headrest "PMD" seats were only offered in 82 and 83. Those seats look brand new, probably re-upholstered. And what about the 4 buttons on the center console? I also noticed you had a different color front bumper. Maybe someone took off the Knight Rider nose and put a stock one back on? Anyways, one of the vendors of KR stuff make replacement fiberglass cover for convertibles. More parts will come soon for what it said on his site. --->

http://www.markscustomkits.com/For-Sale.html

Nice car!! I like black 3rd gens.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah.....the Autoform Convertibles didn't come with the PMD seats. Someone must've put those on. That link is the one I was talking about....the guy who makes replacemnt back hatches. I need to get my links off of my other computer. It sucks when a computer goes down.....you forget how much you loose.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Hi Nick,

I'm new to the site aswell, its great isint it?

Nice hearing from you, Leeds is about 1 hour away from me, but it depends on how fast your driving, how are you liking it in America, some people have all the luck.

Not another 02 WS6 owner and a vert at that, the only reason I say that is they are gorgeous, that is the next car I woud like but maybe have to buy a 98 as I cannot afford an 02. I WISH

Anyway please post some pictures I would love to see her.

Hopefully talk to you soon.

Vicky
Hey, you can have mine for $20k if you can arrange transportation!

Overall, I enjoy living in the States. I definitely appreciate living in Wyoming with its wildlife, scenery and friendly people. A traffic jam here is 4 cars at a stop sign and there are lots of wide open highways.

I don't have any digital pictures but I will try to take some this weekend.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Hi Guys,

This car originally came from Marks Custom's Kits, the guy was going to turn her into Kitt but he had a falling out with his wife and sold the car to us, but before he did he took the nose cone off, and the wheels and the dash, the only thing he left was the hood and the PMD seats he obviously didnt have replacement seats as the amount of people I have had asking if they can buy them off me, I have had people begging me and wanting to pay silly money for them, but they are lovely seats and I wouldnt want to sell them, they are brand new seats covers from Marks Custom Kits as I have the receipts here, he sold the door panels for £400.00 pounds.

As I havent got the Knight rider dash and nose cone I am not going to turn her into Kitt, I am going to try and get her as original as possible.

Also its so hard to find the parts and they are so expensive for the Knight Rider parts I couldnt afford to finish her.

I will post more pics once she is re-sprayed, she is going black.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wyo_vr4
Hey, you can have mine for $20k if you can arrange transportation!

Overall, I enjoy living in the States. I definitely appreciate living in Wyoming with its wildlife, scenery and friendly people. A traffic jam here is 4 cars at a stop sign and there are lots of wide open highways.

I don't have any digital pictures but I will try to take some this weekend.
Hey I would have yours if I could afford it, let me know if you decide to sell it, hopefully I might have some money once you decide to. Fingers crossed.

I would love to see the pictures, and just for spite I bet shes black??? God i'm going to be jealous

I bet you have got some nice pictures of her.

Talk to you soon.

Vicky
Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrws6speed
It's good to see you're about as much of a TransAm junkie as I am. I actually just sold a '98 TransAm I had. I guess something has to give somewhere.

Here's a little info about my '83 TransAm. It was bought by Gary from a dealership in Salt Lake City, UT. He wasn't intending on buying a TransAm, but when he walked into the dealership.....there were 3 convertibles sitting on the showroom floor....one red....one black....and one white. Gary purchased the red one and also had the fortune of meeting the purchaser of the white convertible. Years later he ran into the owner of the white convertible. Alas, the car had been completely demolished in an accident. At least the owner was ok.

At the tim, it was a fully loaded TransAm that brought a sticker price of approximately $15,000. The convertible option tacked on almost $7,000 to the sticker price for a whopping total of almost $22,000 (remember...this is 1983 dollars). That was into the price range of Corvette's.

Now you have to consider the history of the time to understand the car. When Gary purchased the car new, the interest rate he recieved for the auto loan was a whopping 18%. WOW!!! It's no wonder that so few of these cars were built.

The '83 is a 305 Cease-fire.....I mean....Cross-fire. Actually, people really seem to put them down.....I think it's a really cool and great running injection system. And I have comparison with TPI's to LT1's to LS1's. Yeah....it may not be the fastest car in the world....but I love it. It's a fully loaded WS6 car. I have the original 15" "Knight Rider" bowling ball rims for it. He had some really weird aftermarket rims on it (the crappiest I've ever seen or DRIVEN on). I have the gold WS6 wheels from my 88 GTA on it right now. It also has a really interesting exhaust system on it. The pipe comes straight over the axel.....into an H-pipe.....to two individual mufflers and then to the exhaust tips. It's the original exhaust system.

As a side note.....there's a guy who builds reproduction back hatches for our cars. Just in case anything ever happens to yours. There's a "common" problem with them (as much as common can be with such rare cars). The hinges that the back hatch ride on tend to ware out and break. Make sure to keep them well lubricated.

Also, on my 84 and 86 the hinges for the trunk are having problems. The metal is "Potting" (I dont' know if I said this right). Basically the metal is of inferior quality and it comes apart. It almost looks like someone took an eyedropper and dripped acid on the hinges. They have little indentions like something is eating them away. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I thought it was something bad with the '84...but then I got the '86 and it was the same thing.

I've got more info.....but I'll shut up for now.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Hi Mike,

I love the cars,. if I could afford more I would have them everywhere, the next one I want is a 98 Trans-am or 02 if I can afford that model, t-top or convertible would be lovlely.

That's nice to have information on your cars, we havent got any info on any of our cars which is a shame.

I bet your Trans-am sounds nice with that exhaust system on, I bet the neighbours love you.

My trunk hinges are also pitted, I'm going to get them re-chromed if thats possible.

Hey don't shut up about the cars, tell us more, this is the most I have learnt about the car since I have had it.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks for the information.

Vicky
Old 10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Hi 89KARR,

Nice cars have you got some more pictures of your Kitt?

Cheers Vicky
Old 10-06-2005, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Hi 89KARR,

Nice cars have you got some more pictures of your Kitt?

Cheers Vicky
Only a few hundred.

As for your seats, those are pristine. In that condition, you could get upwards of $1200 here in the states. As far as I know, nobody gets PMDs except for Knight Rider conversions.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Hi Mike,

I love the cars,. if I could afford more I would have them everywhere, the next one I want is a 98 Trans-am or 02 if I can afford that model, t-top or convertible would be lovlely.

That's nice to have information on your cars, we havent got any info on any of our cars which is a shame.

I bet your Trans-am sounds nice with that exhaust system on, I bet the neighbours love you.

My trunk hinges are also pitted, I'm going to get them re-chromed if thats possible.

Hey don't shut up about the cars, tell us more, this is the most I have learnt about the car since I have had it.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks for the information.

Vicky
The '83 actually sounds really nice. Right now I have the exhaust system open at the cat (I just took a sawsall and cut it off). It's REALLY LOUD. It sounds like a big engine with a cam. I'm going to do the exhaust on it and put another cat.....but for now....what the heck.

I also forgot to mention that I have the build sheet for my '83. Don't ask me how he got it....I don't think that stuff ever usually came with the car. It shows not only the build information, but the destination to be delivered to Autoform. Pretty cool little extra. The one thing I wish I had was the build sticker they put on the door. You can see where it was....but apparently it wore and fell off. The car has about 90K miles on it right now. I love driving it, but I'm always scared because there's no way I could replace it if something happened to it.

The '84 on the other hand is much more common (as common as common can be). Most of the convertibles I run into are '84's. Mine has 52K miles on it now. It is a 305 H.O. Gotta love the Quadracrap.....I mean....Quadrajet. It is really the first carb car I've ever owned. It's a stark contrast to the '83. The '83 fires up right away and idles decently (a little rough when cold...but not bad). The '84 on the other hand doesn't like to idle when I fire it up. I have to give it gas to keep it running and warm it up. I'm going to take it in (finally found somebody who knows how to work on the quadrajets). I don't think it's running quite right, but most of the time it runs and drives fantastic. I'm getting around 17.5mpg around the city.

The '84 has really nice seats. I've never seen these seats before (they're not camaro or firebird seats), but they're really nice and comfortable. I don't know if they're the originals or not, but I've only seen one type of seat in the original Autoform convertibles.

The '84 is a WS6 car with the stock "turbo fin" wheels that came in '84. It also has the ground effects package. I don't know how rare a package this was in '84, but it seems like a lot of the cars I run into don't have it. Anybody got a clue on this?

One interesting thing is that the '83 doesn't have the spring assist for the top. The '84 does. Obviously they learned a few things from the first year and made improvements. My '86 also has the spring assist for the top.

This might be useful information for you....if you haven't already figured it out. Many of the parts for the convertibles they just used from the hatchback car when they got it. The shocks for the back convertible hatch are the same ones from the original hatch. They used the back seat as the headliner for the convertible top. They used part of the back seatbelt to "secure" the top when it is down. The convertible hatch release (both the key and the latch mechanism) are is all from the original hatch.

The molding for the back convertible hatch and the top is mostly the original molding from the hatch and roof of the original car. There are some moldings that are custom for the car. I don't know quite how they did it, but they seem to be mostly soft, moldable peices of molding that they formed into the appropriate shape. The problem is (at least here in the desert where it gets hot) is those pieces of molding melt. I'm always getting them all over my hands and they like to fall off.

To answer your question, you can re-chrome the original hinges. The problem I don't know the answer to yet, is how well it will hold up. From what I know the pitting is caused from the metal being of inferior quality and coming apart. You're probably going to have to use some bondo or do metalwork to fix them. I'm going to try and go with a synthetic chroming process. I hear that the chrome surface tends to be more flexible....so stresses won't make it come apart. Kinda like you use a flex agent with the paint for bumpers so the paint doesn't stress and crack. I'll let you know what I do when I get around to it....but it probably won't be for a while. It's not exactly a major priority right now. If you do it....I'd like to hear how and how it turned out.

I'm going to try to get some pictures of it this weekend when I have time and can wash it. It's been raining lately (unfortunately). I need to hurry up and get my garage built....hahahaha.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-06-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah......always forget something. The '84 has a flowmaster muffler on it (the rest of the exhaust looks stock). It sounds pretty nice. Good for just driving around. I still like the mean and loud sound of the '83 without any cat. You probably hear from the UK....hahaha.

Thanx,
Mike
2002 WS6 Convertible
1992 WS6 Convertible
1991 WS6 Hardtop 350
1988 GTA Hardtop 350
1986 WS6 Convertible
1984 WS6 Convertible
1983 WS6 Convertible
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Teching In

They are some lovely pictures, if you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to finish a car like yours?

Its lovely, I want mine done like that now
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Hi Mike,

I thought it was rare to have one convertible, but to have three well thats just greedy. LOL No your very lucky, and they all sound nice especially your 83.

Mine wont be ready untill next year so I won't be touching the hinges untill then, and I may just leave them alone I'm not sure yet, either way I will let you know.

My car has loads of stickers on the door but I don't know what they all mean.

I know what you mean about the exhaust system my 88 GTA doesnt sound loud, you can hardly hear her, so were going to try and do something with that for next year, I want her sounding like a V8 and that lovely burbling sound from the back, I love it, hope you know what I mean, the convertible sounds louder than my GTA.

Any advice on what to do to her to get her sounding nice? she's a 5.7.

I am scared about all the pieces on the convertible as I would imagine it would cost me a fortune to try and get replacement parts and to have the items re-fabricated, thats if it can be done which probably is a NO.

My vinyl roof is OK but it is slightly discoloured nothing mayjor but I wouldnt mind getting a new one made for her, I might start asking around and see how much someone will charge me, I bet that will be expensive aswell, then everything is now adays.

I did know about the parts being re-used like the roof, gas struts and back seat for the headliner, I think it was a brilliant idea using those parts, the only thing is my headliner is grey and the seats are now camel, so I might change that next year.

Get those pictures and let us all see your lovely cars.

Vicky
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 AM
11 Second Club

They are some lovely pictures, if you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to finish a car like yours?

Its lovely, I want mine done like that now
Hmmm. Quite a bit. Let me add.....

$9750 total so far in just cosmetic. Dash, scanner, nose, steering wheel, PMDs. I did 95% of my performance mods BEFORE I started converting it. Gotta have the GO before you have the SHOW. But in mods, I've probably got about $3000 in those as well, including rebuit tranny, KYBs, etc that is not listed in my sig.

I know it is a lot, but to each his/her own. The reaction I get from people when they ask how much the dash was is like "Whoa! Five Grand!! I would have...(insert what they would have done with $5000.)" Subwoofers, superchargers, suspension, custom paint jobs, whatever.

If you do decide to go that route, good luck with it. Here is a site that will help you a little bit locally. Knights of England used to sell KR parts, but he shut down a few weeks back.

http://pub83.ezboard.com/bknightsofengland
Old 10-07-2005, 03:55 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has loads of stickers on the door but I don't know what they all mean.
Perhaps you could post some photos of these?

Quick Reply: 84 Trans-am Convertible - Any Info would be appreciated