Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Weight Reduction help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction help!!!

hey guys, As some of you know I just bought a 1996 Trans AM vert.......its one of the old Agistion race cars....It was for sale on here......Anyways I am trying to take AS MUCH weight off as possible...So far it has no front bumper support, no inner fenders, no front sway bar, tublar front and rear suspension, 10-point Chromoly cage, forza 2 seats, no back seat, light weight carpet, the interior was "swiss cheesed", has NO power steering, heat, ac, air-bags, NOTHING under the dash..have a carbed 383ci goin in..no computer....what elese can be done? I want to get down to 3300lbs with me in it. I am 190lbs....let me know ANYTHING!!! Thanks

CJ
Old 02-20-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

sounds like its gutted pretty good already....Hell take the carpet out completely a d leave just one seat it it. Other than that i can't think of anything
Old 02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Banned

heat shields, air bags, battery, relocated or lightweight, or both... door support bars, Rear bumper, windshield washer fluid, radiator support "swiss cheese" inside door panels there is a sticky, I think in the drag section of just about everything...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make your top manual. That would mean remove the Hyd. resevoir and the two hyd. pumps. Door bars. Cut your radiator support the same size as the airbox. There really isnt a whole lot left to do unless you start going fiberglass and lexan. Some front runners would help alot too.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
Make your top manual. That would mean remove the Hyd. resevoir and the two hyd. pumps. Door bars. Cut your radiator support the same size as the airbox. There really isnt a whole lot left to do unless you start going fiberglass and lexan. Some front runners would help alot too.
Even if it were manuel it will outweigh a hartop or t top. The two hydrolic pumps weigh no more than 3 pounds total, and the resevoir weighs about 5-10 pounds, in the trunk. Its that bulkey framing that weighs a ton.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacfireTAWS6
Even if it were manuel it will outweigh a hartop or t top. The two hydrolic pumps weigh no more than 3 pounds total, and the resevoir weighs about 5-10 pounds, in the trunk. Its that bulkey framing that weighs a ton.
Thats true but everything counts. My car weighs 31xx lbs and i still have the leather seats, ac, heat, drivers side airbag, inner fenders, and stock rims.