Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

top is tearing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top is tearing!

i have a white convertible top and its been slowly wearing out in this one little spot and it is developing into a tear. is there anything i can do to stop/slow/repair the tear? i called a convertible place near me and the guy told me i needed a completely new top.

also, i cant find anything that will really clean my white top, i have tried everything including that stuff that this site endorses...im willing to try anything if anyone has had any success.

thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I have a 97' Anv SS Convertible with a white convertible top.....pinpoint vinyl. Had same problem...nothing would clean it to my satisfaction. Just happened upon a product a the grocery store after getting frustrated called Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Figured what the heck, bought a couple and wow....amazing. Pulled the imbedded dirt right out of my white top.
All you do is wet the eraser, squeeze it out and apply pressure in circular motion....you won't believe the difference. Here's a couple photos showing the cleaned vs the unclean area. Might note that the top appeared somewhat clean (from the way it was when I purchased the car) from using other products before I stumbled onto the erasers. You can see from the pictures just how much more it cleaned up. First photo shows portion where I used eraser on the left compared to the untouched section to the right. The second picture shows a small area I left uncleaned to compare to the rest of the top that I cleaned with the eraser.
The erasers are fairly inexpensive...2 or 3 in a box fo a couple bucks.
Would not recommend for fabric tops though.....as I have never used it on one. My wife's 95' top is frabric, but mint, so I didn't have to clean it.
Attached Thumbnails top is tearing!-97ssconvtacoma2-home2-001.jpg   top is tearing!-97ssconvtacoma2-home2-006.jpg  

Last edited by SS30ANV; 08-26-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS30ANV
I have a 97' Anv SS Convertible with a white convertible top.....pinpoint vinyl. Had same problem...nothing would clean it to my satisfaction. Just happened upon a product a the grocery store after getting frustrated called Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Figured what the heck, bought a couple and wow....amazing. Pulled the imbedded dirt right out of my white top.
All you do is wet the eraser, squeeze it out and apply pressure in circular motion....you won't believe the difference. Here's a couple photos showing the cleaned vs the unclean area. Might note that the top appeared somewhat clean (from the way it was when I purchased the car) from using other products before I stumbled onto the erasers. You can see from the pictures just how much more it cleaned up. First photo shows portion where I used eraser on the left compared to the untouched section to the right. The second picture shows a small area I left uncleaned to compare to the rest of the top that I cleaned with the eraser.
The erasers are fairly inexpensive...2 or 3 in a box fo a couple bucks.
Would not recommend for fabric tops though.....as I have never used it on one. My wife's 95' top is frabric, but mint, so I didn't have to clean it.
Interesting......i might have to try it.

Quick Reply: top is tearing!