Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

insurance and vert tops

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default insurance and vert tops

anyone know what insurance companies will and will not cover regarding convertible tops? there is a hole in mine that was not made by me and i'm wondering if insurance will cover or not. I know jsut call them and find out is the easiest way....but whatever they DO cover....yup that is what happened to mine!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

one would guess if someone was trying to get in your car it would be under comprehensive being theft? Guess wudnt be any different than someone breaking to window to steal.Just a thought.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by radioren
one would guess if someone was trying to get in your car it would be under comprehensive being theft? Guess wudnt be any different than someone breaking to window to steal.Just a thought.
think it could be considered theft if it was a rodent breaking in??
Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

probably not but i would assume that it would be covered by something that was not done due to your negligence assuming you do have comprehensive. Best thing is to do is review your policy and call them
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

seriously they will not cover this. of course the provisions of your policy will apply but even if you have "really good" insurance you probably still have a separate deductible on comprehensive (assuming you could get it covered), and they would charge you for something called "betterment" which means that you're getting a newer top than you had and they are basically charging you depreciation on your old top. would you expect them to cover your seats if you got a hole in one of them?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by savethelinoleum
would you expect them to cover your seats if you got a hole in one of them?
no cuz i can use the car with a hole in the seat but with a hole in the top if it rains the car fills with water!! I cant have that happening. normaly it only comes out on nice days anyway. i'm just in the midst of a financial crisis and cant afford to fix the top right now....so with 12 years of premiums to the same company on as many as 10 vehicles at one time covered(currently 7 full coverage on 3 cars 2 bikes, and liability on a car and a boat...plus homeowners) and never making a claim i was hoping this might be covered!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

comprehensive coverage, covers theft, vandalism, hail, etc...

the claims adjuster can usualy tell if it was a clean tear/rip due to the above or if it was due to aging. some companies require a police report filed for theft and/or vandals.

and inclement weather can easily be verified.

if a tree on your property fell on your car, it could be covered under your homeowner's policy...but never, ever do this because a home policies are more sensitive to being non renewed due to 2 or more claims.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

well here is what happened. a mouse decided to have babies in the airbox of my motorcycle...I didn't know she was in there then after i started it she decided to move them under the seat. I relocated them in a box and put it outside of the garage. she then decided my car was a good place to move to and chewed a hole in the top so she could bring her babies into my trunk. so now I have a nice hole in my top!!

BTW babies were put in a container and relocated to a petstore....last time i saw the mother was when i put the top up and she went running and under the hood of the car....then i drove 50 miles and never seen her again....found babies the next day. my children wanted me to save them so they went to the store instead of under my foot!! i'm sure the guy at the store 'disposed' of them, but I had to be the hero for my kids and he understood!!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

the petstore probably used them as feeders for snakes, etc.

i don't think insurance will cover that. however, if you hit the mouse with your car, it would be covered under COMP. actually, i'm not 100% sure on this one. i would call and talk to more than one claims adjusters...you may get lucky.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=skunk50]the petstore probably used them as feeders for snakes, etc.
QUOTE]

I suggested that but they are wild mice so they might have diseases....they dispose of them. one petstore didn't want anything to do with them and told me to freeze them.....well duh then i'm still killing them in front of my kids and that is what i'm trying to avoid ya stupid bitch.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Teching In

What if you took the car shopping and you came out and the top was slashed??

Then no rodent stories, a legit vandalsim police report and insurance claim.

A city different than your own might be a better place for the shopping trip.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JeffroWI
What if you took the car shopping and you came out and the top was slashed??

Then no rodent stories, a legit vandalsim police report and insurance claim.

A city different than your own might be a better place for the shopping trip.
that is a great idea.....if it wasn't for jail time for insurance fraud. I can jsut see this post being brought to the attention of insurance companies. shoudn't be to hard for the to figure out who I am....LOL

funny thing is we go to Rockford IL quite a bit and i'm afraid to take the car there because soemthing like this might happen....so I try to avoid taking it anywhere like that!!

Quick Reply: insurance and vert tops