Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Convertible Vehicles
Search

Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Rear Curtain attach point...

Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 0
Default Rear Curtain attach point...

So I have the old cloth separated from the window (at the bottom) dilema. Following the advise of some posters here - I ordered a tube of 3M window weld and I am hoping for the best. The outer flap is about 1/4"+ too short to reach the window fully (inner flap seems doable) - I suspect the outer may have been loose for a while and has shrunk a bit. I can do it if I partially lower the top and stretch pull and wiggle to allow the adhesive to set - Does it make sense to attempt to loosen it at the car to gain some material? An if so, how do I access the attach points. I am afraid I will do more damage than good by attempting this so I am curious about anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Oh yea, if anyone is from Northern NJ - I'd love to hear about recommendations on a top installer - cause I think in the long run that is where I am headed.

1996 Z28 Convertible RIP - Totaled by 20 year old kid (texting?) thanks man
Factory Chrome Wheels, CAGS Disable, Big Block Hood, TB Bypass, Spintech Split Case Muffler w/ 4" pipe, Don Goetz SFC's
~~Project - Jeep Wrangler~~
scottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Launching!

Trader Rating: 1

Dont sweat it. It is VERY easy to fix. I just reglued the entire rear window, all the way around, came out perfect using that product. Just lower the top so you can have the material laying where its suppose to be without any pulling on it (so it can dry). I used Windex to clean the glass, and the part of the top that will be glued to the window. Then I used a hair dryer to make sure the top was not damp from the Windex. Then just lay a couple of beads of the glue down on the glass making sure that you get glue under the very edge of the top, seems to be stronger that way. I let mine dry for 24 hours before fooling around with it.
Red 2000 Z28 6-Speed (SOLD)
T-Tops, DirectFlo Lid, DeScreened and Ported MAF, FRA, !EGR, !A.I.R. TR55's and MSD 8.5's
4:10's, HPP3, Custom Lowering,
TTII's, 17X9.5 / 17X11 w/ 275's and 315's.
TR 224.1/228.5 .562/.571 111.6 LS
Coated Pacesetters/Custom 3" Offroad Y/Magnaflow
6-SpeedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply 6-Speed.

When your top was in the closed position, did the outer flap fit comfortably on the window? Mine seems to come up a little short especially in the middle. That's why I was wondering about releasing tension on it before gluing it.

I will do as you suggest with the top partially lowered, but my concern is that after gluing with the top partially lowered - I will raise the top after 24hrs and rip the repair right off the window.

1996 Z28 Convertible RIP - Totaled by 20 year old kid (texting?) thanks man
Factory Chrome Wheels, CAGS Disable, Big Block Hood, TB Bypass, Spintech Split Case Muffler w/ 4" pipe, Don Goetz SFC's
~~Project - Jeep Wrangler~~
scottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Launching!

Trader Rating: 1

That will be a problem if you dont first do some figuring with the top closed. What I did was close the top, then stood back there and pulled the top up as far as I could to get it as tight as possible. Then I visually marked a spot on the window, then let the top go, grabbed a piece of masking tape and marked where the top needed to be. Then I let the top loose, did the prep, and glued it in place, according to my marks.
Red 2000 Z28 6-Speed (SOLD)
T-Tops, DirectFlo Lid, DeScreened and Ported MAF, FRA, !EGR, !A.I.R. TR55's and MSD 8.5's
4:10's, HPP3, Custom Lowering,
TTII's, 17X9.5 / 17X11 w/ 275's and 315's.
TR 224.1/228.5 .562/.571 111.6 LS
Coated Pacesetters/Custom 3" Offroad Y/Magnaflow
6-SpeedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
Launching!

I did this and it's a good idea to cover the fabric with masking tape so you are sure not to get glue on the exterior.

Ram
00 SS M6 Vert: 408 LS2, RHS225s, Comp XLR 240/242@112-.610, T&D, Morel, 42#, FAST90/90, NOS150, Aerom, Callies, Scat, Diamond, Kooks, Moser 3:73, McCl, QTP, Borla, Wolf, KBSF, Spohn, BMR, ASP, Hurst, 540 rwhp NA

94 Z28 A4 Vert: 355, Vortech 12#, Snow, JE, Lunati 242/248, Hooker, Vig 2800, 48#, MSD, KBBP, KBSF, Poly, 3:73, Spohn, BMR, Built A4, FM, 432 rwhp

86 Fiero GT M5: stainless exhaust, hypertech, pulley
rambo benson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001, camaro, convertible, curtain, rear