Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Rear Curtain attach point...

Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Curtain attach point...

So I have the old cloth separated from the window (at the bottom) dilema. Following the advise of some posters here - I ordered a tube of 3M window weld and I am hoping for the best. The outer flap is about 1/4"+ too short to reach the window fully (inner flap seems doable) - I suspect the outer may have been loose for a while and has shrunk a bit. I can do it if I partially lower the top and stretch pull and wiggle to allow the adhesive to set - Does it make sense to attempt to loosen it at the car to gain some material? An if so, how do I access the attach points. I am afraid I will do more damage than good by attempting this so I am curious about anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Oh yea, if anyone is from Northern NJ - I'd love to hear about recommendations on a top installer - cause I think in the long run that is where I am headed.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Dont sweat it. It is VERY easy to fix. I just reglued the entire rear window, all the way around, came out perfect using that product. Just lower the top so you can have the material laying where its suppose to be without any pulling on it (so it can dry). I used Windex to clean the glass, and the part of the top that will be glued to the window. Then I used a hair dryer to make sure the top was not damp from the Windex. Then just lay a couple of beads of the glue down on the glass making sure that you get glue under the very edge of the top, seems to be stronger that way. I let mine dry for 24 hours before fooling around with it.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply 6-Speed.

When your top was in the closed position, did the outer flap fit comfortably on the window? Mine seems to come up a little short especially in the middle. That's why I was wondering about releasing tension on it before gluing it.

I will do as you suggest with the top partially lowered, but my concern is that after gluing with the top partially lowered - I will raise the top after 24hrs and rip the repair right off the window.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Launching!

That will be a problem if you dont first do some figuring with the top closed. What I did was close the top, then stood back there and pulled the top up as far as I could to get it as tight as possible. Then I visually marked a spot on the window, then let the top go, grabbed a piece of masking tape and marked where the top needed to be. Then I let the top loose, did the prep, and glued it in place, according to my marks.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this and it's a good idea to cover the fabric with masking tape so you are sure not to get glue on the exterior.

Ram

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Curtain attach point...