Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Convertible top replacement and FAQs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Convertible top replacement and FAQs

IMPORTANT NOTE: 95-02 tops are the same. 94 had a recall, which made them the same as 95+; if your car had the recall, you're good. If not, it may be unique and unavailable from any source; get the recall done. 93 tops are like the 82-93 ones.

Top replacement:

Pumps and all should be fine, just verify the fluid level.

You need to get:
Hold down cables: 2 sizes, 23" and 29", 29" supposedly for Z-28 'verts, not confirmed to be accurate. Around 35/pr
Pads: replace them. They are what keep the top from rubbing the framework when it goes up and down. Around 40/set
Main top with rear window. TWO separate pieces! Material should be HARTZ Stayfast canvas, the OEM material. Window should be glass, tinted, with defroster, as OEM. Cost about 450-650.

An option is to replace the headliner while doing the top; this runs 140-180 for the material.

Install is NOT trivial; a good shop takes about 12 hours to replace a top, and charges between 500 and 1500; 800 for install is fair. DIY... You try, let us know how it goes. I've done motor and trans swaps, and I'm not gonna do my top.

As for parts: buy it on Ebay, you deserve what you get.
There are maybe 5 top manufacturers in the country, and the OEM one is no longer in business. Try to get warranty service from an EBay seller. Try to get competent advise on install or material. They just don't have any expertise with the stuff they sell; and remember, their prices reflect a markup. If they cost less than top quailty stuff after that markup, what do you think the stuff they sell is really worth?

Here is a link to one place I got a good feeling about:
http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?CarmodelID=114
and another:
http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cg...at.cgi?cat=268

Both offer 5 year warranty against the window separating from the fabric. Both have detailed, accurate info. They at least know what material was OEM, and their prices are at least as good as any Ebay seller i ever saw.

The second one offers an install manual if one wanted to try doing it themselves; the first has the best prices.

I'll probably buy the install manual from the second, figure out if I can do it myself, and buy the other stuff, including pad set and cables, from the first guys.

here's a link to FAQs about tops:

http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?Conv_top_q

yeah, I know, this info rocks. Sticky if you like.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info! Ive been looking around a little because my 94's threads are starting to turn to dust! All over! How do i check to see if my car has been serviced for that recall? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by future_Z_Owner
Awesome info! Ive been looking around a little because my 94's threads are starting to turn to dust! All over! How do i check to see if my car has been serviced for that recall? Thanks.
Take it to a dealer and have them run the VIN for recalls. (It may not have been a recall, just a service bulletin, so you'd have to pay for it now. On a recall, if it wasn't done, they would pay for it in full no matter how far out of warranty.)
Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i got mine from here.... http://aabestco.com/merchant.ihtml?id=171&step=2
great customer service, 7yr unlimited mileage warranty. top looks great and so far so good.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kbronSS
i got mine from here.... http://aabestco.com/merchant.ihtml?id=171&step=2
great customer service, 7yr unlimited mileage warranty. top looks great and so far so good.
Very nice and they include the cables and other hardware I've been looking for a oem like gm white top since mine us falling apart on the seams side and back and that site looks like a deal..how long have you had the top on the car?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you install yourself or have someone else install it?? Wont be long I will need one too?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
IMPORTANT NOTE: 95-02 tops are the same. 94 had a recall, which made them the same as 95+; if your car had the recall, you're good. If not, it may be unique and unavailable from any source; get the recall done. 93 tops are like the 82-93 ones.
There were no 'vert f-bodies built in '93. Verts were delayed a year for the 4th gens (typical GM marketing fashion).
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive only had the top on for about 4months, it looks brand new. one thing i should mention is that the inner liner is not included on the price. i thought it was included but it was not. the people there helped me out with everything and were always real nice. i had a body shop install it because at the time the car was also getting painted.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

How much did they charge you for the install of the top? My inner headliner is actually in really good shape so that is no big deal
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they charged me 500 bucks......but i have no clue on where to start, so thats why i forked out the cash.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

I got some prices today..600 for install was the cheapest. but they can get a Haartz vinyl top and will give me a cheaper price so we shall see

Quick Reply: Convertible top replacement and FAQs