Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default zr1 knocks 4 seconds off "the ring"

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/28/c...off-ring-time/
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats awesome.

Same car right as before?....Just the pimp driver? If so, thats badass....cause the Viper has some hardcore tires on it,..that the Z....doesn't have.

I want to see the new video dammit.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

fking awesome.. the general gets it done!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But how long could you live with the ACR? It is a beautiful car but is not exactly a daily driver.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

uggghh.... please guys, do not start becoming misinformed brand-loyalists on this forum. The Viper site has some really immature and ignorant people who cannot appreciate BOTH cars. We'd prefer to keep an open mind here and have an informed discussion.

Two hearsay internet "facts" about those tires. The ACR tires are indeed sticky, but so are the ZR1 tires. Both tires are soft to the touch, and those ZR1 runflats were developed specially for the ZR1. They are not off-the-shelf typical runflats that GM stuck on the car during the design phase. I've felt BOTH tires in person, they are not any less of a street tire than the typical drag radials that people run around on daily. When BOTH cars run on the exact same day, same conditions, same tires, then we can make a fair judgement. Until then, please quit making excuses about tires when both cars have excellent DOT tires.

As for daily driving a Viper, it all depends on how much of a wuss you are. I guarantee they are far more livable on a daily basis than all the old 1960s musclecars that people used to haul their families around in daily. Sure the ride is stiffer than a luxury car, but to hotrodders that typically isn't a complaint. I guarantee neither of these cars are purchased with daily-driver in mind, as the buyer probably has more than one car at home. So, why use that as an excuse too? FYI, I put 3,500 miles on my Viper in ONE week during Power Tour. My co-pilot is 6'4" 250 lbs and he also had no complaints. The ACR doesn't ride any different than my car does, it just has a wing and a nose splitter. In fact, you could turn down the coil over stiffness on the ACR, mine isn't adjustable.

Just appreciate both cars for what they are.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
uggghh.... please guys, do not start becoming misinformed brand-loyalists on this forum. The Viper site has some really immature and ignorant people who cannot appreciate BOTH cars. We'd prefer to keep an open mind here and have an informed discussion.

Two hearsay internet "facts" about those tires. The ACR tires are indeed sticky, but so are the ZR1 tires. Both tires are soft to the touch, and those ZR1 runflats were developed specially for the ZR1. They are not off-the-shelf typical runflats that GM stuck on the car during the design phase. I've felt BOTH tires in person, they are not any less of a street tire than the typical drag radials that people run around on daily. When BOTH cars run on the exact same day, same conditions, same tires, then we can make a fair judgement. Until then, please quit making excuses about tires when both cars have excellent DOT tires.

As for daily driving a Viper, it all depends on how much of a wuss you are. I guarantee they are far more livable on a daily basis than all the old 1960s musclecars that people used to haul their families around in daily. Sure the ride is stiffer than a luxury car, but to hotrodders that typically isn't a complaint. I guarantee neither of these cars are purchased with daily-driver in mind, as the buyer probably has more than one car at home. So, why use that as an excuse too? FYI, I put 3,500 miles on my Viper in ONE week during Power Tour. My co-pilot is 6'4" 250 lbs and he also had no complaints. The ACR doesn't ride any different than my car does, it just has a wing and a nose splitter. In fact, you could turn down the coil over stiffness on the ACR, mine isn't adjustable.

Just appreciate both cars for what they are.

i love both cars! Both are great in their own way. Would love to have either one.

However I have to say that tires definitely have to do with it, we are talking track times. The C6 Z06 is held way back by the stock tires, maybe not as much as the ZR-1 is. Now the ZR-1 is made for the track, not for a daily driver like a stock C6 is. For the money those cars cost there is no reason whatsoever that a ZR-1 or a C6 Z06 needs run flats. I don't care who they are made by. They hurt the cars real performance wether it be straight line or on a auto-x track. So like you said Nine-ball, different story if the ZR-1 had the same tires. The C5 Z06's never came with them so don't see why they come on the the more powerful/faster vettes. Lame

Glad to see two american icons on the top of that list.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

how the hell do you know it is tires alone?

It could have been damp/humid/wet the time the ACR did the runs. Were you there to prove otherwise? Would good tires on a wet pavement work better than good tires on dry pavement? Hell, it could have been wet or sandy surface conditions for the Corvette too, who knows. Traction depends on road conditions and ambient road surface temperature too, not just the tires themselves.

Also, in skidpad tests the ZR1 has given the same or better results as the ACR. That is the TRUE test of traction.

This is why we need a same day, same conditions, same timing equipment comparison, otherwise all this comparing isn't worth the text that is typed.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
how the hell do you know it is tires alone?

It could have been damp/humid/wet the time the ACR did the runs. Were you there to prove otherwise? Would good tires on a wet pavement work better than good tires on dry pavement? Hell, it could have been wet or sandy surface conditions for the Corvette too, who knows. Traction depends on road conditions and ambient road surface temperature too, not just the tires themselves.

Also, in skidpad tests the ZR1 has given the same or better results as the ACR. That is the TRUE test of traction.

This is why we need a same day, same conditions, same timing equipment comparison, otherwise all this comparing isn't worth the text that is typed.
We both know that run flats have a thicker side wall. Great for street driven cars on a regular road the do the speed limit. That changes when you push the car to its limits. Common sense dictates that. There is more left in the ZR-1 for sure. The run flats do hold that car back. Are they better than the goodyears on the C6 Z06, yes. Put on a good set of tires on the C6Z and watch that car run some fast times also. It will be alot faster than 7:42-C6 Z. Try some better tires on your Z06, world of differance.

Not really sure what the reasoning is behind GM putting run flats on a 638hp ZR-1 vette, instead of some nice sticky tires that the car deserves. Doesn't make any sense why they would do it when a C5 Z06 with 405hp and didn't have run flats. I think that is the biggest question.

I agree with what you say about running both cars, even the GTR, the same day and same tires.