C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

no BLV on LPE TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no BLV on LPE TT

hi guys as alot of you know i own a 2002 Z06 with an LPE twin turbo kit ,
as i was doing regular servecing on my baby yesterday and taking out the front bumber to acces the intercoolers and give them a cleen , i was surprised to fined that the system has no blow off valves and found out that one of my turbos was dameged (compresor seal) so after refering to some of the turbo gurous here we desided to install a blow off valve and also they speculated that the reason for the damged turbo was that there is no BLV on the car.

so know i have to change my turbos from GT2871 to GT3076-WG and insted of making 668WHP i will have to do with 800WHP and go hunting for supras
Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand nationals came from the factory without a blow off valve,Didnt seem to be any problems.alot of them stock turbos have gone 50-100,000 miles without issue.

Most people in the buick world who upgrade almost never add a blow off valve...And again,Never seem to run into any problems...On turbo's that Im aware of up to 76mm.

If you had a turbo with a damaged compressor seal...It was probably just time for the seal to go...How did you diagnose the seal?was the car starting to smoke?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I would always have a BOV on my car, but from what i've read, auto car's can usually go without a BOV since they are not letting off the gas on shifts. Where as manual cars the TB blade shuts on shifts, it puts a lot of strain on the compressor of the turbo(s). So this might explain the GN's if they were auto cars. Considering you have a Z06 with the m12, you should have a BOV for sure IMO! It will take a lot of stress off the compressor by blowing off the air on shifts. I also speculate that your turbo was also more than likely damaged from no BOV, it makes sense being you have a 6 speed car.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed