Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

For 500rwhp which way would you go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For 500rwhp which way would you go?

Looks like I got some bad info on the KB for the LS2. I was told it was out, but it appears that is false. So factoring in installation costs would you go heads (which ones) fast intake and cam. Or wait for the KB or I can get the L92 and L76 at dealer cost and do a cam? I'm clueless now?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are looking for 500 rwhp, why not go with a centrigual (procharger, vortech) or magnacharger?

If you are set on H/C package, Cartek is getting it done at the track... There are so many options out there.... AFR, Trick Flow, etc... Depends on what your goals are....
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Next Phase
If you are looking for 500 rwhp, why not go with a centrigual (procharger, vortech) or magnacharger?

If you are set on H/C package, Cartek is getting it done at the track... There are so many options out there.... AFR, Trick Flow, etc... Depends on what your goals are....
+1 But I would add LG Motorsports and Vengeance Racing to the list as well. They are also getting it done. Its a bit easier to hit 500 rwhp on an ls2 vs ls1. Its funny how those extra cubic inches make a bit more power. Best of luck to ya, and please post up which direction you go.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

All the heads/cam cars may have close or above 500 rwhp.... but still have very low torque (in comparison to the hp numbers) Plus most are revved way up to moon.

If you boost it... you have very similar torque numbers to go with your Hp digits... not to mention stock manners until you get aggressive.

Boost > Heads/Cam/Everything else
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

A lot depends on what you need the power for. If you are road racing, the sc takes a lot of work to get it to last, vs the h/c/i. If you are street racing/drag strip/dd, sc works pretty well for that. If you just want big dyno - go with the sc. Just depends on what you need the power for. Good luck with your choice. Either way you will grin all the time.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

if you want it for track use just go cam and headers and tune and throw a 100 shot on it! good power and great torque!
Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

L92 heads/intake, long tubes, cam and tune is the cheapest way besides juice to get you a huge bump in power. On a stock LS2, you would be running 460-470rwhp all day with that combo. If you need more, add some juice for a very affordable / powerful combo. If the HCI is not enough, you have a great foundation if you add a blower afterwards. An easy 600-650rwhp setup with 8#'s on top of the HCI.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get something cool and sneaky, like a 3:90 diff and small cam and some sticky tires......
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
All the heads/cam cars may have close or above 500 rwhp.... but still have very low torque (in comparison to the hp numbers) Plus most are revved way up to moon.

If you boost it... you have very similar torque numbers to go with your Hp digits... not to mention stock manners until you get aggressive.

Boost > Heads/Cam/Everything else
This was my problem from the start. I want the low end torque to play on the street. This is just a fun car for me. Maybe I should just save and wait for the KB. I've actually got a nitrous kit that just needs a couple pieces, but I've punked out on going with it. I'm familiar with FI, but no nitrous exp. So the H/C cars don't really deliver too much on the low and midrange?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I want the low end torque to play on the street.
Simple, a magnacharger will provide that nicely.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Just use the nitrous. I have a buddy with just Intake/Axleback/ and a bottle who made 503whp/520wtq on a 2005 C6. Don't be afraid of the bottle, just make sure you have a knowledgeable tuner tune your car.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

This was my problem from the start. I want the low end torque to play on the street. This is just a fun car for me. Maybe I should just save and wait for the KB. I've actually got a nitrous kit that just needs a couple pieces, but I've punked out on going with it. I'm familiar with FI, but no nitrous exp. So the H/C cars don't really deliver too much on the low and midrange?
Generally H/C cars trade a little personality down low for big charm up top...

Lots of guys add lower (numerically higher) gears to make up for some low end, plus to alleviate the cam surge/bucking as the rpms drop into the lower teens.

A Magnacharger can boost up to 10psi and with some cheap used Escalade heads (to lower compression) you can use everything the Maggie can offer on your stock bottom end (adding a simple meth injection for longevity and piece of mind) .... going for more power beyond that (changing to a more aggressive set-up) will only result in less traction.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maggie + LQ9 heads + fuel system + tune = 500RWHP

done
Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

This was my problem from the start. I want the low end torque to play on the street. This is just a fun car for me.
Headers + gears + wider rims & good tires > boost or H&C without traction

If street kills off the line and starting at low speeds is your game, the throttle response of a NA car is hard to beat, even with a maggie. Traction is the name of the game for races starting at less than highway speeds. If you are a highway racer a procharger type set-up is fine. ECS on the East Coast is a good place to start looking at. On the west coast look at A&A corvette.

Edit: Looking at your current set-up, a mild to medium cam + ported FAST 90mm and traction is probably what you need.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mekkadon

done
The only problem I have with the magnacharger is that if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll wait for the KB since it has much higher power potential. I guess I'll start with heads and cam and a bit of nitrous. Seems like a lot of sponsers have very good pricing on heads and cam packages. I'll start making calls. Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Bolt On's: 50-60rwhp-$2,000
Cam: 40-60rwhp-$300-500
Nitrous: 75-200rwhp-$1500
10 Bottles(this is for guys that say "Well you have to keep buying bottles": $ 400
Horsepower: 450-550rwhp Cost $4,200-$5,000

A Full T.T Kit from Speed Inc Runs about $15,000.

Then throw in $500 for "Hook n Book" and $1,000 for D-Train/Trans on either one.

I know which way I would go, but thats just me.

And the NOS, well I dont know how much you drive your car, but I dont think you'll dump ten 10lbs bottles in a month and even thats only $400
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

ECS novi kit.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Headers + gears + wider rims & good tires > boost or H&C without traction

If street kills off the line and starting at low speeds is your game, the throttle response of a NA car is hard to beat, even with a maggie. Traction is the name of the game for races starting at less than highway speeds. If you are a highway racer a procharger type set-up is fine. ECS on the East Coast is a good place to start looking at. On the west coast look at A&A corvette.

Edit: Looking at your current set-up, a mild to medium cam + ported FAST 90mm and traction is probably what you need.
This is what my tuner suggested as well. Ill go with a good set of heads too, just not sure which ones. There are so many to choose from and I've heard horror stories about getting bad heads. It seems AFR are the only sure bet. Anyone know of any others that are consistantly good performers? The Patriots are only 1K.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mekkadon

done
On a M6 LS2, all you need is a magnacharger, 3.0 pulley and a tune and you'll be at 500 rwhp.. stock heads, stock manifolds, etc....

I made 480/481 on a bone stock LS2 w/ borla stingers through an automatic. Ran an 11.3 last weekend w/ a 1.7 short time leaving off idle.

The only problem I have with the magnacharger is that if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll wait for the KB since it has much higher power potential. I guess I'll start with heads and cam and a bit of nitrous. Seems like a lot of sponsers have very good pricing on heads and cam packages. I'll start making calls. Thanks
There are good deals out ther on the magnacharger.... I think I paid just under $7k for everything (install, tune, hood, paint). You just have to know where to look. I know Lingenfelter charges something like $12 or $13k.

If you have an LS2/LS3 with the M6, I would get a Vortech centrifugal from A&A Corvette or ECS. 600+rwhp and 550 rwtq. Done! I know Andy is selling his base kit for $4,500. That is a steal!

I went with the magnacharger becuase I got a great deal on my kit and have always loved the sound and low end grunt. Also, the tranny can only handle 550 rwhp before they let go (although some have over 600 rwhp with no issues).
Old 11-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Launching!

This is what my tuner suggested as well. Ill go with a good set of heads too, just not sure which ones. There are so many to choose from and I've heard horror stories about getting bad heads. It seems AFR are the only sure bet. Anyone know of any others that are consistantly good performers? The Patriots are only 1K.
Considering that you want to spray or go FI down the line I'd look at aftermarket heads with there thicker deck. For consistant performing heads search Trick Flow (TFS). Thats my recomendation.

Quick Reply: For 500rwhp which way would you go?