Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

2009 Z06 dry sump vs ARE dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Z06 dry sump vs ARE dry sump

I know the 10.5 quart dry sump is a big improvement over the old 8 quart dry sump in the 2006-2008 Z06's. But is it better than the ARE dry sump?

How much oil does the ARE dry sump hold? I know it requires coilovers because it is deeper and won't clear the leaf springs.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The OEM system is frankly... junk, there have been some people that have lost engines due to inadequate oiling because the inadequacies of the system GM uses. I feel that use of the dry sump they implemented was more for marketing rather than function. But that's an aside.

The complete ARE system very badass setup. I run 11 qts of oil if I remember off the top of my head. You'll find the ARE pans featured in professional racing corvettes. Armstrong is a great guy to deal with, and you can't go wrong with Dailey either. I have no experience with Aviad, but I believe Aviad uses ARE pans.

The reason that coilovers are necessary is that there are lines that go where the transverse spring sit.

Bottom line:
If you start seriously stressin' the car with suspension, tires, and driving... upgrade!

Last edited by OKcruising; 11-27-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the good information you gave me I appreciate it.

I know the old 8 quart Z06 dry sump had failures associated with it and I was hoping the new 10.5 quart ZR1 spec dry sump would fix that.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's my understanding that the only change between the 2 systems is the oil capacity and GM put it on the Z06 to make the production between the 2 cars easier (i.e. having one part).
Old 11-28-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ViperKlr1,

I don't mean to dissuade you from a LS7 system. But even it is vastly upgraded over the wet-sump GM uses.

Here's a budget build. ARE pan (they have a LS7 retrofit) and the rest of the OEM LS7 stuff. It would work quite well as well!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
It's my understanding that the only change between the 2 systems is the oil capacity and GM put it on the Z06 to make the production between the 2 cars easier (i.e. having one part).
I wonder how much difference there is between the new 10.5 quart ZR1 dry sump pan and the 11 quart ARE pan?

Also how much more would it cost if I upgraded other components (besides pan) to ARE?

What does the full-on ARE dry sump with all the options cost?

I am asking because to me the only difference between the 2009 and 2008 Z06s is the dry sump system (other than vraiable rate steering on the 2009)

Fortunately 2008 Z06s are so much cheaper. Heck the difference in price may even let me afford a complete ARE dry sump system while still coming out ahead.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you going to be racing the car? The stock system is way more than fine for anything other than a full out race car.

HPDE and TT use you'll be fine with it. There have been a handful of issues on the forums, but on the whole they've been fine. I've never seen one have an issue at the track.

My understanding is they increased the oil capacity to help with oil cooling for the supercharged LS9, not because the dry sump doesn't work.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good thread...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll post some rough estimates for costs:

A Stock LS7 system with upgraded ARE PAN: Assuming you have a C6Z already, then it would be ~750?? Install and oil and blah blah add a 6 hours of labor? Really not a bad idea, the LS7 pan is what was shown to be the problem, and this effectively solves it. I would have gone with it if I could have.

With any complete kit:
From 2000 to 3500 for lines and fittings and heat shielding. Figure 20 to 30 + man-hours for fabrication, machining, and labor. Things like subframe machining, crank-pinning, line sizes and quality, fittings chosen, tank placement, etc. etc. It's intensive to go from wet-sump to dry-sump.

-ARE 3 scavenge complete kit for a Y-body ~3500ish +-300. I don't have my invoice on me.

The biggest catch with the complete overhaul kits is the options chosen, plumbing criteria, routing of plumbing, and installer's experience. These factors literally means thousands.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Default Gary Armstrong, press ARE

Originally Posted by ViperKlr1
Thanks for the good information you gave me I appreciate it.

I know the old 8 quart Z06 dry sump had failures associated with it and I was hoping the new 10.5 quart ZR1 spec dry sump would fix that.

We DO make a zo 6 dry sump that will work with factory leaf spring. Coil overs are just better. Thanks, Gary Armstrong, ARE
Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aremfg
We DO make a zo 6 dry sump that will work with factory leaf spring. Coil overs are just better. Thanks, Gary Armstrong, ARE
I did a winter project of an install of the ARE dry sump in my 05 LS2 Corvette that I use for street & HPDEs.
I used Gary's C6ZO6 replacement tank,three port scavenging pump and his really trick oil pan. The oil pan has three outlet suction ports to the scavenging pump, an inlet port that connects to the oil tank to supply oil to the OEM oil pump and ports out of the pan to the remote oil filter and back to the block oil to oil the engine . The scavenging pumps discharge oil to the Ron Davis radiator oil cooler and then back to the tank. The valve covers are both vented to the tank and the system is vented to a filtered vent tank all by ARE.
I used all Aeroquip hoses and fittings.
When I did the project I also installed Lingenfelter ported LS3 heads, YT roller lifters, Morel lifter and GT11 cam. This cam is not a very wild cam.
I had my Corvette dyno tuned by New Era Performance in Rochester NY last Saturday. We did seven pulls to do the tune and we were more then happy with a final pull of 456 RWHP & 427 RWTQ. With this cam, heads and LGM longtube header Mike the owner of New Era expected around 440 RWHP. He said that the dry sump must be a big help in getting such a high number with such a mild cam.
I added the ARE dry sump because I run very hard at The Glen and VIR and with coilovers, Stoptech brakes, 345/30/18 & 315/30/18 R6 tires. I know that sooner or later I would have a oiling problem. The big plus is gaining a few HP.
And like someone else has said Gary Armstrong is a great guy to deal with and I drove him nuts with a 1000 questions being this was a first for me.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping this thread alive I see, but Im now dealing with this purchase.

I haven't even bought anything from Gary yet, but he has been incredibly helpful via email and phone. And he's ridiculously busy right now for PRI. I will be buying many things from this guy in the near future.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Keeping this thread alive I see, but Im now dealing with this purchase.

I haven't even bought anything from Gary yet, but he has been incredibly helpful via email and phone. And he's ridiculously busy right now for PRI. I will be buying many things from this guy in the near future.

Let me know if you need any help with the hardware needed. I did the job last winter and one of the other Forum members from Texas was doing his install at the same time so we helped each other out.
What year and model is your Corvette ZO6 or non ZO6?
gary@grbowler.com

Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 dry sump vs ARE dry sump