Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Not a big deal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not a big deal???

Last night on my way home, I am stopped at a light at big intersection in Coral Springs (subrubia, 130K residents), five lane, two turning lanes, three straight lanes, I am in outside straight lane, sitting at light for like 30+ seconds, County 45' bus just past intersection is parked less than 100 yards past light in my lane. I have to decide to drive through intersection after light changes and apply brakes, as bus is parked with flashers on and is not moving, or give my C6 some gas and jump into the middle lane once through the intersection to avoid breaking and stopping. As an aside, I was the front car in a five car pile-up five years ago in Coral Springs, I was not at fault, no ticket was issued to any of the four cars behind me, as the Traffic Investigation Officer said she had too many conflicting stories---this was a nightmare, I was sued by all four drivers stating I purposedly stopped for no reason and caused the accident in hopes of monetary gain, it took almost three years and many of my hours to win my case against each of them and in the end I was never even compensated for my out-of-pocket and deductible. So I jumped moderately on the gas last night, from a second gear start (yes, I am sometimes lazy), went through the intersection, then changed lanes and lifted at 40MPH (Kooks, x-pipe, B&B Bullets). I do not speed often in town, too much traffic, too many LEOs, let alone at night with 30+ cars behind me. I then drove another five miles, all within speed limit, and was then pulled over by Johnny; he followed me for five miles and ignored a VY C6 that blasted past me going at least 10MPH over the speed limit. He approached my window, did not answer my question 'Did I do anything wrong', but did ask 'Do you have weapons of any type in the car', took my insurance and DL, and then re-asked his question; also asked me concerning weapons and asked why I was nervous even though I did not project such. I am 44, clean cut, no tickets, no criminal record, was dressed in my business attire (dress shirt and tie) and was very polite. He took over 10 minutes before coming back, then asked who was '???? ????", which specifically was the name of my business partner (car is in biz's name, he was original purchaser, name probably came up when LEO ran the plate), who is of Arab descent (prejudice?) and his name is obvious of such. I was not given a ticket, he said I needed to be more careful, as he stopped me due to my unlawful acceleration, even though he agreed I did not exceed the speed limit, did not change lanes illegally in the intersection (I changed lanes afterward), did not spin my tires, etc... Is this normal? Is this harassment? I mind my own business, act respectful of the laws of the road, do run my car hard at times but 99% of time on open highways.
I will not pursue this, but just need to know if this happens next time, and I am not in the wrong, should I be less passive, as it appears to me that this LEO was just busting my *****.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

He was just another a-hole cop. World is filled with them. Too bad they give the good cops a bad name. Apparently he was so fixed on trying to get you for something he actually missed a guy speeding. Another of law enforcements finest!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

He's prejudice because he asked you who the person was that the car came back registered too? I guess the cop that asked who (step dads name) was as he cosigned for my first car is racist against white people?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown4.6
He's prejudice because he asked you who the person was that the car came back registered too? I guess the cop that asked who (step dads name) was as he cosigned for my first car is racist against white people?

Car is registered to me, changed title when took over payments 2.5 years ago, do not know how the previous owner's name was retrieved on a database. Not sure why I was asked about a past owner, as insurance and registration is in my name only. I am now the only owner of the business, and in my opinion it had no relevancy. Not sure why I was asked three times if I had weapons in the car. Not sure why I was asked why I was nervous when I was not. Not sure why I was followed for over five miles before I was pulled over. Not sure why I was not given a ticket if he pulled me over due to my driving. Was never told of an infraction, I was told my acceleration was faster than normal, is there a law specific to this, such a 35, 40, 45 mph. Was also told at the end of the episode that 'In a car like your's, you will always attract attention'---does this mean I should sell the car and get a white Prius with hubcaps???
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 AM

yeah..cop was a dick to you..unfortunately, there is a law against accelerating too quickly and you can get cited for it, but this very rarely happens...sorry the guy gave you a hard time..just forget about it and move on..
Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6)
yeah..cop was a dick to you..unfortunately, there is a law against accelerating too quickly and you can get cited for it, but this very rarely happens...sorry the guy gave you a hard time..just forget about it and move on..
You are right, looks like the Florida Statute is very, very subjective, and any manner of driving beyond what a grandma would do can lead to a ticket. Specifically (c) will be the basis for the ticket, which I guess means when two lanes are merging into one, both drivers should maintain current speed, regardless if the end result would be a collision:

316.191 Racing on highways.

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Conviction" means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.

(b) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Have a couple of beers and forget about it.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Have a couple of beers and forget about it.
I agree, only time I have been pulled over in 2.5 years of ownership. More than once an LEO has pulled up to me while driving and gave thumbs up, one even asked me to rev it. Just bothered, as I think the LEO last night was fishing for more than was evident, and still think I did not break any law---I guess we all have that sentiment. I have no issues with LEOs, have many good friends that are LEOs, only have opinions of individuals based on interactions.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a chance that someone is a car similar looking to yours was involved in a crime in that area and the LEOs were checking every similar vehicle. I base this on his repeated weapons questions and not citing you for anything. The five miles could just be the time it took to initially run your plates while he was following you.

I'm no LEO lover by any means, but if he didn't even get you out of the vehicle, you may have just been in the wrong color/style car at the wrong time. He isn't going to tell you if he was looking for someone else.

It sounds to me like you weren't being harassed because you drive a "fast looking" car. I suggest you just give him the benefit of the doubt, forget about it, don't change how you drive and have a few beers as was suggested. Don't drive right afterwards.

Jon
Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the ofc's name, badge number? If so then simply file a complaint and then any stops from there on out would be considered retaliation and add fuel to the fire if you take this to court. BTW I am an LEO and wouldn't have even stopped you for "illegal acceleration", no such thing to my knowledge. I am betting that he ran the plate and got something that was still in the system and then followed you long enough to get the info back and verified thru LEIN. Just my 2 cents.

Funny thing I accelerated to the "speed limit" and a cop in my area pulled me over for having loud exhaust. I said are you serious, and then said you must not have heard the car when I had bullets on it last year. I think he recognized me and said have a nice night Deputy. Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I am betting that he ran the plate and got something that was still in the system and then followed you long enough to get the info back and verified thru LEIN. Just my 2 cents.
My thoughts exactly, as following me for five plus miles, ignoring a car that sped past me, and asking me about weapons three times makes it appears he was looking for something. I am thankful I did not get a ticket, but also confirms my belief that I did nothing wrong---we are all innocent, LOL!!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadcad
You are right, looks like the Florida Statute is very, very subjective, and any manner of driving beyond what a grandma would do can lead to a ticket. Specifically (c) will be the basis for the ticket, which I guess means when two lanes are merging into one, both drivers should maintain current speed, regardless if the end result would be a collision:

316.191 Racing on highways.

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Conviction" means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.

(b) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.
You do know that Jamie and I saw to it that this very law is no longer considered 'constitutional' after that night on 595...right?

It will be totally re-written to remove all of the loopholes that Js lawyer took to the Appeals court, lol.

The only thing I think he could have gotten you for, which I have seen several times, is what they call illegal display of speed, which can be anything from chirping the tires to briskly accelerating, lame as hell.

All in all, you are right though, you need to go buy a white Prius...
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
All in all, you are right though, you need to go buy a white Prius...
I already ordered one, getting a neon kit and a fart can put on it so I can pretend I am a baller!!!

Quick Reply: Not a big deal???