Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Buying 1st vette any advice

Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying 1st vette any advice

Well looking at my 1st vette tomarow. What are some things do i need to look for it is a 99 6 speed. they are asking 14k it has 64k miles and its black.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it an FRC, Coupe, Vert?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I would just check it over really good check out the trans good shifting slow fast high rpm low rpm reverse several times I missed that on mine my reverse was gone when I bought but I did know til I got home in it
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bullish
I would just check it over really good check out the trans good shifting slow fast high rpm low rpm reverse several times I missed that on mine my reverse was gone when I bought but I did know til I got home in it
Same with mine. I had to hold it in reverse!

If you can get a look at the bottom check out the panels under the driver and passenger seat and inspect for an damage. Look at how the tires sit in the wheel wells. Make sure that they are centered and all match. If the frame is bent the rear tires will move forward or back. Look at what kind of modifications have been done to the car. Do you know how to pull the codes? You can pull the codes using the buttons to the right of the gauges
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check for water leaks. Drive it through a high pressure car wash (a couple times). These things leak like wooden boats. Then water gets on the BCM which is on the floor and its problem after problem. The weatherstripping around the windows on the doors (on my FRC) is just foam tape stuck between a peice of plastic.....cheap. Where the quarter panels are put on....leaks. If it was driven in snow, rain theres a chance all your grounds might be coroded. Which isnt too hard to clean them. The "service column lock" is another pain in the rear. If you let my car sit for a day or more every time you start it, it says "pull key and wait 10 seconds". It had the dealer "fix" on it but that rendered the car useless a few times and left me stranded....I took it off. If it sits a day or more the battery voltage must drop slightly and when its first started it doesnt detect the full amount.... It still has left me in parking lots waiting for 15 min or so sometimes before it goes. ...which leads me to my next post...lol.

Mechanically wise Ive had good luck. But electrically wise its an engineering disaster. You'd think 50+ years of making these they would have it down.....Nope.
I really like mine, contemplated on selling it....but im keeping it. Its a cool fun car, but just be aware that some of them do need a little extra touch.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Check for water leaks. Drive it through a high pressure car wash (a couple times). These things leak like wooden boats. Then water gets on the BCM which is on the floor and its problem after problem. The weatherstripping around the windows on the doors (on my FRC) is just foam tape stuck between a peice of plastic.....cheap. Where the quarter panels are put on....leaks. If it was driven in snow, rain theres a chance all your grounds might be coroded. Which isnt too hard to clean them. The "service column lock" is another pain in the rear. If you let my car sit for a day or more every time you start it, it says "pull key and wait 10 seconds". It had the dealer "fix" on it but that rendered the car useless a few times and left me stranded....I took it off. If it sits a day or more the battery voltage must drop slightly and when its first started it doesnt detect the full amount.... It still has left me in parking lots waiting for 15 min or so sometimes before it goes. ...which leads me to my next post...lol.

Mechanically wise Ive had good luck. But electrically wise its an engineering disaster. You'd think 50+ years of making these they would have it down.....Nope.
I really like mine, contemplated on selling it....but im keeping it. Its a cool fun car, but just be aware that some of them do need a little extra touch.
Get a column lock bypass(CLB), mine locked on me 4 days after I got it. Had to take it to the dealer to get it unlocked then put the CLB in and never had any problem again!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsk899
Get a column lock bypass(CLB), mine locked on me 4 days after I got it. Had to take it to the dealer to get it unlocked then put the CLB in and never had any problem again!
yes, I wrote that there was one on the car and it caused more problems so I removed it and hooked it up like it was stock. Still problems. The CLB is worthless. Yea the lock is gone, but the car still tards out.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I think for 14K with 64K miles you can do better, With the way the economy is it is a buyers market, Don't be in a hurry, Take your time and do your homework, I would say for 16K you could fine a 2002 or newer with a lot less miles.
JMO.
Mr.Bill
Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Don't forget the batteries leak acid on the wiring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying 1st vette any advice