Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

how reliable has your C5Z been?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how reliable has your C5Z been?

Im getting pretty serious about buying a c5z and was looking for some overall feedback on how well your car has treated you. Ive heard they can have nasty elec problems and there is like 7 onboard computers that can play haywire with the car. Im looking at a few right now, one is blown with only 4-5 psi and a safe tune.

Have you had any major/minor problems that are a big deal, I understand little small things its the other bigger things I worry about.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only MAJOR issue is the column locker. There's a $50 dollar part that prevents it from happening. GM has not come up with a real solution for that problem and refuses to support it, although if it happens to you, it will cost you a LOT of money to fix. Find out if the car has gone in for the column lock recall by GM. If it has, then you may be shelling out even more money since any 1 of the 3 recalls GM did made the problem worse and GM still will not support or cover this problem. This issue (before the GM recall) will prevent the steering wheel from unlocking when you turn the ignition to the ON position. If the car has been in for the recall, the steering wheel (should) never lock, however it will prevent the car from traveling over 7MPH when it starts to act up.

There's a more about that on corvetteforum.com.

As for the problems with all the computers, that's actually not a big deal. Most of those problems are caused by corrosion at the grounds. It's rare that you actually need to replace the computers. Just cleaning the grounds usually fixes the majority of the weird issues you might see. The only pain is that there's 14 (I think) places you can find grounding points all over the car. LOL So you may have to hunt for them. But the majority of the ones you should be checking every couple of months are under the hood and very accessible.

The active handling system is kind of quirky. If you under or over inflate your tires, it could cause the system to stop working. the front tires must be 0.8 inches shorter than the back tires. Also, if one of the right front tires is a little taller than the other (from over or under inflating sometimes) it will cause the car to think that the steering wheel position sensor is bad and again turn off the active handling. I personally feel that the active handling is needed for the first month or so of owning the car, and then once you get a feel for it's power, weight and drive you really don't need it anymore. I drove all the time with my AH system off.

There's been known issues with the memory system. It remembers the seat, radio, mirrors, and climate settings. (Very cool actually) It automatically selects which memory to use depending on which key-fob unlocked the car. However, I've read some people had issues with it not remembering the seating position. I didn't have this problem or any of the grounding issues. I love the memory system because I let my dad drive the car once in a while and he's shorter than me with a completely different taste in music. So I didn't have to readjust my presets, mirrors, seating, or climate control ever.

You should check out this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

There's a lot of useful information. And don't get scared about all the threads about issues with their car. Keep in mind people don't post when the car has no issues. These are VERY reliable cars. I was happy as hell with mine and I'm looking for another. If you have any issue at all, it's likely going to be a cheap and easy fix. And will be WELL worth it since the C5Z is the most fun car to drive... ever.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought it in March, put over 6000 miles on it since. Only things that have popped up is the passangers side power door lock will not lock with the fob or the lock switch, it has to be locked manually. And I'll occasionally get a warning saying the active handling/abs needs service but it goes away. I'll probably need to send out the abs module to get it worked on. But thats it. Runs like champ.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crimson Vette
Bought it in March, put over 6000 miles on it since. Only things that have popped up is the passangers side power door lock will not lock with the fob or the lock switch, it has to be locked manually. And I'll occasionally get a warning saying the active handling/abs needs service but it goes away. I'll probably need to send out the abs module to get it worked on. But thats it. Runs like champ.
That lock problem is usually the wiring between the door and the car. If the wires in the wire-loom are kinked to the point they split, that could happen. I had that issue at one point. I opened up the wire loom and straightened at the wires to see if there was any split wires. If the actuator doesn't get enough current from split wires, it won't move. (Although it'll twitch... sometimes hitting unlock over and over will get it to go.) I didn't find any split wires in my loom, but when I put everything back, it was working fine again. Odd?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll unlock with the fob and the power door lock switch, but wont lock, but I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I have had a C5Z for over a year now and have only had it in to replace the passenger window motor and some rubber above the windshield that was coming off. I replaced the stock clutch at 25k miles but that wouldn't have been needed if I left it at the stock power.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Original owner of a 2003 C5Z with 23K, and I've had no issues...zero. I am always worried about the column lock deal. I need to just buy a CLB and be done with it...but I've always subscribed to the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

88K on my 01 Z06... No probs, has never left me stranded...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues with mine at 30K miles. Of course the stock clutch won't hold anymore but then again I've added a few ponies.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Ill be honest...

Car has leaked water through side window seals.

Broke diff twice (one stock one built)

Broke trans output shaft

A/C went out at 75k

Front lower ball joints wore out

Owned the car from 35k miles to now 80k miles, the interior has been solid, not many rattles at all. The LS6 is nice, the MN12 tranny is nice, the rear end is pure garbage. Build quality could be much better but at the prices they go for now you have NOTHING to complain about, lol.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

awesome info everyone, thank you
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had my C5Z since march. 02 with 54k miles on the car now. I put about 7k on it myself.

Two days at the road course.
Over 50 passes at the strip.

No problems whatsoever. These cars are solid.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

Exclamation Reliable as a Ferrari. (crappy)

01 Zo6 bought with 43k miles.

Daily drove it for two years. 68k currently

1) Front torque tube bushing failed which killed the clutch. Rebuilt the tranny at the same time. At wholsale cost it was $3k parts and labor. That's one job that's hard to do yourself on a c5

2) drivers side wheel bearing (actually the speed sensor built in) wholesale was about $268, repaired myself.

3) ac compressor. I think it was about 400 in parts including the dryer. Two months later it failed again and got a new unit under parts warranty. Sucked doing all the work.

4) Oil pressure sensor. $25 part, had to remove the intake.

5) both headlight gears. $25 for the gears each and my labor to fix.

6) ebcm $100 repair plus my labor

7) kept getting knock codes for the front sensor. Replaced it and the harness. Still getting the code which puts the car in low octane mode. Turns out the piston tops and combustion chambers were CAKED with carbon buildup causing knock.

8) misc things like interior climate sensor, belts are thrown every 10k miles so I think the balancer is on it's way out. Lost count of everything.

It's now a garage ornament (so it doesn't cost me any more) getting an engine freshening as every nut and bolt is polished. Lucky for the car that the paint is flawless, interior has memories (two blondes and I had a threesome, believe it or not. There was a thread about it on corvetteforum) and in general looks great otherwise I would have burned it to the ground or allowed it to be stolen.

I hope you have just as much fun as I have, just without the issues.

Last edited by ~JOSHUA; 12-27-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Splelling :P
Old 12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my 02 Z06 with 13k on it. Now has about 49k and I get a few TCS/Stability Codes every now and then but like listed about it's just some grounding issues.

I did have to rebuild my tranny but that was my fault for drag racing. It got stuck in 4th gear.

I don't have any squeaks or rattles in the car. Have made over 20 round trips from SLC, UT to San Diego, CA with no issues what so ever and averaged 28mpg's while doing it.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

i have a 01 Z for over 3 years now,problem free,drive it 3 times a week to work,200 passes on stock motor with procharger 11.1@ 136mph.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

had my 02z since june of 2008 and have put almost 10k miles on it (29k total). The only 2 problems i have had is that it leaks water inside the car everytime i wash it. I think it is coming from the windshield area or side windows. Oh the drivers side Ti muffler has something lose inside it. Found it when i installed my GHL catback.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Joshua, I think the carbon build up is from not revving the **** out of the motor at least once a week.

Red line that sucker at least once a week and you shouldn't have any issues with carbon build up.

Also, 01 Zs were known for having consumption issues. I was wondering if you ever had that problem? Oil levels get low?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be keeping up with this thread, I've been thinking about getting a C5Z around the end of summertime.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Joshua, I think the carbon build up is from not revving the **** out of the motor at least once a week.

Red line that sucker at least once a week and you shouldn't have any issues with carbon build up.

Also, 01 Zs were known for having consumption issues. I was wondering if you ever had that problem? Oil levels get low?
If you only knew me.....

I don't play the idiot in traffic (almost never) but this car is also (after this build, it will be strictly) a weekend mountain carver. There is a perfect set of roads in the north Georgia mountains at the foothills of the Appalacian range.

I rev-match downshifts perfectly... the car is driven to the limits.... so not keeping the rpm up is surely not the case.

It uses the same amount of oil as my '02 Firehawk.... about 1 quart per 3k miles. I've added a catch can to the Zo6 and it does capture some.. maybe 2 tablespoons over a weekend or two....

I hear from dieseldave56 (on the corvette forum) that the bores become distorted with high coolant heat which aggrivates the piston ring sealing issue (with any high strung LSx) I'm adding a 160 thermo and turning down the fans during my build.

We'll see.... It's okay eigther way... someday the car will have a built up 402 or 427 so in the end it's no big issue being a weekend car.

p.s.- have you gotten closer to deciding on your new horse?

Last edited by ~JOSHUA; 12-29-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hrmmm. Interesting. I went about 5K miles on my 02 and the oil light went on... What's odd is that I'd just checked the oil less than a week before that and it was fine. I was a quart down. I added a quart and then did the oil change on my car the next week. Just odd.

Yeah, I'm looking at an 04 MY Z06.

Quick Reply: how reliable has your C5Z been?