Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

My Clutch is Stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Clutch is Stuck!!!

Well fellas i guess it finally happened to me. I had seen threads in here about people having trouble with their clutch but i never bothered to read. Lastnite heading towards downtown. I was getting onto the on ramp...shifted out of 2nd around 3500rpm...shifted to 3rd a lil earlier....then 4th around 3k. Thats when i happend. I noticed after the shift somthin didnt feel right when i pushed the clutch, but payed it no mind as i let my left foot down and went back to gas pedal. damn near redlined her...went back to put my foot on the clutch pedal..NO PEDAL! It was stuck to the floor! I managed to put my toe underneath and pull back. It went back into its normal place, however it felt spongy and hard to press right before it would touch the floor. I cant put my car into gear, while its running. I had to have her towed to my parents house. The unfortunate part in all of this is i dont live here anymore. Im stationed in LR Arkansas and was supposed to leave monday. Im also short hand on money. What caused this??? Is it the clutch Master?? Or the Slave?? IM PRAYING its not the Slave. I checked the fluid in the car after this event. It doesnt look pretty but its full. The funny thing is i had it changed once this year about 5-6months ago. HELP!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Change the clutch fluid again. It should be changed as often as possible until the fluid stays clean and clear. Suck it out with a turkey baster and replace. I have changed my fluid over 10 before it stayed clean. This helps with the pedal sticking to the floor problem unless it is too late. Try this and then report back.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sikchevy
Change the clutch fluid again. It should be changed as often as possible until the fluid stays clean and clear. Suck it out with a turkey baster and replace. I have changed my fluid over 10 before it stayed clean. This helps with the pedal sticking to the floor problem unless it is too late. Try this and then report back.
I agree. The same thing happened to me. Flush out/change out your clutch fluid and you should be OK.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html

Some vids and great info above.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Changing the fluid helps but if in my experience you will have more clutch pedal issues until you address the real problem. It could only be the slave but would you really go in there and not upgrade the clutch and add a remote bleeder?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys have a fluid you like better then others?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Mine does this from time to time when I'm shifting at high RPMS quickly. I'm planning on swapping the clutch / master+slave this year to fix it. Swapping fluid seemed to help a bit but it didn't solve the problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

well i have a guy coming over tomorrow to replace the clutch master cylinder. I really dont believe its the slave. Its not leaking fluid any where. Plus the resivour was still full. Granted im not starring at the bottom of my car but i looked the night it happend plus been checking since its been in the driveway. Tried the fluid change method through the resivour and its not flushing at all. The clutch master is what gets the fluid moving to the slave so thats why i believe its my problem. Will know tomorrow when the part gets here.....
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by locrzn
Do you guys have a fluid you like better then others?
after doing some research. DOT4 Synthetic by prestone seems to be the way to go. Mainly bc of its higher boiling point.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Yes, DOT4 brake fluid is the correct stock fluid. The shop who did my clutch put RBF600 in whuch is probably overkill.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

turkey baster aint going to do anything for you at this point, you have too much shitty fluid in your lines.

go and rent a mityvac from autozone or take your car into the dealership and ask to have the fluid changed. those are your only options.

unless of coarse youd rather drop 2-3k on a trans rebuild because you decided to drive it like i did..

Quick Reply: My Clutch is Stuck!!!