Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

04 vette c5 z06 tune up ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 04 vette c5 z06 tune up ?

i was wondering what spark plugs and wires do u guys recomend to use in a 2004 c5 zo6 ls6 it is my DD and it has a borla stinger cat back, diablo tuner, vararam vr-b2 and the vararam power duct.? thanks guys on all recomendations......
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NGK TR-55s for the plugs...
You can use the standard GM Red wires. They're pretty good for $70. Or you can go with the MSD or GMPP wires which will run you double. With your mods, though, you really don't need them. The stockers are already really good.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW the quality of the Vararam B2 stinks, I have one and would expect better QC for the money. The thing looks like it was assembled by a 5th grader that flunked Arts & Crafts. That being said, it appears to work, my highly calibrated butt dyno indicates it was good for a few horses. This car previously trapped 117, so a return trip should yield higher trap speeds and hopefully a better ET.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
You can use the standard GM Red wires. They're pretty good for $70. Or you can go with the MSD or GMPP wires which will run you double.
MSD wires arent double. Ive bought mine from local parts shops for 70.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

Plug wires dont matter. It's not a critical choice, they will all fire the charge, get the best built. You have one coil for each spark plug so you'll never be starved for energy even with 800hp using the GM red wires or factory black ones. MSD's are good too, but in my experience the boot likes to seperate easily from the wire when doing future plug changes. Just get the GM wires because they are built a little better. IMO

Spark plugs.... NGK tr55's are the popular choice for N/A applications and NGK tr6's are for nitrous or forced induction. They are good plugs, but you will need to replace them more often than factory plugs. If you do normal maintnance make sure you check the gaps.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Plug wires dont matter. It's not a critical choice, they will all fire the charge, get the best built. You have one coil for each spark plug so you'll never be starved for energy even with 800hp using the GM red wires or factory black ones. MSD's are good too, but in my experience the boot likes to seperate easily from the wire when doing future plug changes. Just get the GM wires because they are built a little better. IMO

Spark plugs.... NGK tr55's are the popular choice for N/A applications and NGK tr6's are for nitrous or forced induction. They are good plugs, but you will need to replace them more often than factory plugs. If you do normal maintnance make sure you check the gaps.

I agree. Stock plugs will go 100K miles actually, but you should change them every 50K or less because they get stuck in the heads from the heat and then it becomes a ******* pain to pull them out.

Originally Posted by A3VETTE
MSD wires arent double. Ive bought mine from local parts shops for 70.
True, MSD has their cheaper wires. I was talking about the GMPP equivalent wires. Standard wires from all manufactures are about $70, but the performance wires range from $130-$200.

Pointless IMO. LS plug wires are so short you're not really going to have to worry about resistance. Standard red wires will do it just fine. No need to go with the expensive ****. Even if you're running 800HP, the standard plugs will work. You just want to make sure you keep them away from the hot stuff. (Wrapping them or wrapping the boot works)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Default C-5 ZO6 tune-up

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I agree. Stock plugs will go 100K miles actually, but you should change them every 50K or less because they get stuck in the heads from the heat and then it becomes a ******* pain to pull them out.

True, MSD has their cheaper wires. I was talking about the GMPP equivalent wires. Standard wires from all manufactures are about $70, but the performance wires range from $130-$200.

Pointless IMO. LS plug wires are so short you're not really going to have to worry about resistance. Standard red wires will do it just fine. No need to go with the expensive ****. Even if you're running 800HP, the standard plugs will work. You just want to make sure you keep them away from the hot stuff. (Wrapping them or wrapping the boot works)
So all I am gettin for my so called TUNE-UP and for $500.00 at a vette shop is spark plugs and wires.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No one even mentions to change the fuel filter!!!!!!! Hell for that kind of bread they should change your oil & filter plus a hand wash with wax job.
Oh damn I almost forgot I did get waxed ha ha ha. Why is it that everyone assumes that all vette owners have deep pockets. In near future I will be changing this and will make affordable pricing not taking you to the cleaners.
I would rather make many sales at a lesser price than to make few sales
at gouging prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really ticks me off the way these companiies
are.

Quick Reply: 04 vette c5 z06 tune up ?