Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

2001 c5 lq9 swap!! build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 c5 lq9 swap!! build thread.

hello. this started out as a transmission replacement.

then i said, well. im turboing it next summer. why not upgrade the clutch. so i bought a lightweight billet flywheel and stage 3 clutch and pressure plate.

then i got to thinking, hmmmm. why not remove a few more bolts, lift the body off the chassis and drop in that 25k mile lq9 that my buddy has.

ugh. its never ending. now i just ordered the lunati dual valve spring kit, and and picking up a 2001 z06 cam (i know its a tad smaller) from a buddy worth the money.

the lq9 will be installed with arp rod bolts, ls6 intake, msd coils, stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, and x pipe with custom mufflers, ls6 cam, and the springs.

only question i have is, what is the difference between ls6 push rods and ls1/lq9 pushrods.

the rpm will probably never ever go over 6k for a long time. because i will be running on the stock tune for a good while.

i am doing this swap because i will have the car tore apart already and will be a better platform for my future build.

i will post pictures when i start working on the motor and such. as i am still a couple weeks out on a few things. but this is as good as done so comments please!

and maybe a hp questimate
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

sounds great no reason for those valve springs with that cam. GO BIGGER!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Launching!

with the planned turbo build next summer i will go with a decent sized turbo cam.

and why not do the good springs right now while the motor is out.

i am doing the z06 cam because i dont want to tune the car. it is a daily driver right now. just doing the lq9 swap as a preperation for the future!!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by back in black
with the planned turbo build next summer i will go with a decent sized turbo cam.

and why not do the good springs right now while the motor is out.

i am doing the z06 cam because i dont want to tune the car. it is a daily driver right now. just doing the lq9 swap as a preperation for the future!!

Your going to have to retune with what you planning. Also without boost if you use those Lq9 heads your car will be saugy. Do a turbo cam now so you won't have to worry about it down the line.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

so.. let me get this straight.

the ls1 has 10.1:1 compression.

the lq9 has 10.0:1 compression. with more cubes, and will have ls6 cam. and your telling me it will be soggy? im pretty sure it will be more powerfull then the ls1 i currently have.

better heads, more cam, and virtually the same compression. i dont understand where you think it will be soggy?

also. i have seen people run lq9/ls6 combo on stock tune for many miles with no problem. actually got better mileage then before. stock manifolds, just the engine/cam swap.

my cousin has a silverado with 5.3to6.0 swap with 30k on stock computer. zero problems.

so i should be fine for a short period of time.

i just spent so much as it is i am doing the swap to have it done already and not have to tear into in next year.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Launching!

i think you might have misunderstood what i am doing.

i am swapping in a complete lq9 engine. not just the heads on my ls1.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Swapping valve springs in the future is easy. Pulling the steering rack to change the cam is NOT.

Get a hotter cam now. You may have gotten a killer deal on your '01z cam (I have an '01z so I'm not biased) but swapping a cam in the future is NOT worth the work IMO.

You can also get a killer mail order tune from the vendors on Corvetteforum. For example, you can get a custom mail order tune from ECS (east coast supercharging) for $150 and turnaround of your computer is the next day. Call them with your car's layout and they can plan your tune.

Get all you can now and get it tuned.... it will drive much better (throttle repsonse from various settings even if the motor was stock) and get better mileage too over the short/medium/long term.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

i dont have the cash for anything else right now.

i may just keep the ls6 cam for when i do the turbo. it will have more then enough hp with the turbo.

Quick Reply: 2001 c5 lq9 swap!! build thread.