C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

need help clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help clutch problem

i have a 02 z51 c5 coupe
and here's the problem i dropped it off at the speed shop to have a cam and pully installed and everthing went great with the install and tune.but on the way home i wanted to open it up and check out my new found horsepower.and this is where the problem starts.
the car was running great and haulin butt. and when i shifted into the next gear the clutch stayed on the floor.i oulled back up with my foot and it was working fine.it only does it when i rin it hard and speed shift. and my AC will not stay on either
thanks for all the help in advance
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

could be a bad slave cylinder
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunsetRamair
i have a 02 z51 c5 coupe
and here's the problem i dropped it off at the speed shop to have a cam and pully installed and everthing went great with the install and tune.but on the way home i wanted to open it up and check out my new found horsepower.and this is where the problem starts.
the car was running great and haulin butt. and when i shifted into the next gear the clutch stayed on the floor.i oulled back up with my foot and it was working fine.it only does it when i rin it hard and speed shift. and my AC will not stay on either
thanks for all the help in advance
hmmm. ok well here are my ideas

First, check the master clutch cylinder container to see if the fluid hasent leaked out.

Second, it could be a bad clutch slave.

Third, problem that can cause a clutch pedal to stay down is that your clutch is burned out. If that the case its time to upgrade espically when you doing the mods you are!

Check these out then come back and tell us what you find out.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I know on the C6's the fluid gets contaminated and causes the exact same symtoms. It did it to me. I flushed out the fluid and put new in and it is good to go. I do this after every track day or any spirited driving.

See if this cures your problem. You can search on Corvette Forum for 'the Ranger method for clutch fluid replacement' and it will tell you how to do it.

Hope this helps you out.

Later,
Nasty...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I bought a ram HD 8 mo ago just haven't needed to install it yet. The car only has 50000 miles. It did fine with the header and tune makin 360hp370tq and with the cam it's 410-380. I was just hoping for something simple. So I can get out there and play a little bit. Lolololol
Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

This is a pretty common problem when you start adding HP on the stock clutch system. Depending on who you talk to it is because of the slave, the pressure plate, the fluid, ect...

Just go ahead and install your new clutch if you really want the problem fixed and be sure to put in a speed bleeder to keep the fluid clean. Good luck,

Gabe
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fieroslave
This is a pretty common problem when you start adding HP on the stock clutch system. Depending on who you talk to it is because of the slave, the pressure plate, the fluid, ect...

Just go ahead and install your new clutch if you really want the problem fixed and be sure to put in a speed bleeder to keep the fluid clean. Good luck,

Gabe
+1 for Speed Bleeder!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Resident

had this problem with my Z just a few months ago....man was that a PITA!!! VERY LONG story short. It ended up being the pressure plate. 2 of the "fingers" were broke! I dont believe this is your issue though. When i pulled my pedal back up the clutch still didnt disengage. Start small and work your way up. Fluid clean(Ranger Method), MC leak(not holding pressure), Slave Cylider. etc.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

My $.02 is BUY an adjustable clutch master cylinder for your C5. Tick Perf. sells them and IMHO it's the best place to start before you do a new clutch. I just went thru this w/my C6 (8K miles is all) and did the clutch upgrade (no Adj MC for the C6 yet) and it still has hydrualic clutch issues. Not like it did mind you, but the pedal is still unacceptably slow to come back after high rpm shifts.

Quick Reply: need help clutch problem